Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mario Mobile
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rather not hijack his thread at this point.

Since I got my camry, I like doing little mods to it to make it more fun and what not, and people are now talking about this rear sway bar which helps understeering and what not.

I've been browsing whiteline, and it says there are two camrys in 97.

Toyota Camry MC-SX-VCV10 92-97

and

Toyota Camry MCV20-SXV20-SXV23 97-02

I have a 97 Camry 4 cyl 2.2 engine...LE..

Maybe someone could explain to me if this is a worthwhile investment or if I should pass, or if there is a cheaper route that whiteline.

Yes I am a CHEAP bastard.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
It's worth EVERY penny. And for performance on these cars, that really is the cheap route. :lol:

Whiteline's site is weird. What were the two model numbers for the RSB itself? Yes, i'm being lazy. One fits (non-adjustable) and the other SHOULD HAVE been listed for the gen 5 camry (but they screwed it up... it's also adjustable).

·
Mario Mobile
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This would probably be my first 'big' mod...is it something that's hard/difficult? It doesn't seem too bad as of now. I have all the proper tools for it.

For when I typed in Camry...the swaybars that came up under parts for 92-97 and 97-02 were:

R
Swaybar 18mm-heavy duty. BTR36 1

Replacement type. Non adjustable.

F
Swaybar 24mm-heavy duty. BTF38 1 H S
R
Swaybar 20mm-heavy duty. BTR39 1 H S

Is whiteline the best way to go?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
It's annoying to do. But it IS easy. I promise. Definitely a weekend project for a first timer. This was also my first major mod, which i did with hand tools. :lol: There's plenty of DIYs in the sticky. READ over them! :) Also, it's the BTR36 for 92-01 camry's.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
That's it! Andddddd i'm fairly sure that some of our site partners carry them and will ship from the US instead of Australia. I forget who though. Advance speed some maybe? I'm gonna wait for someone else to figure that out. :lol:

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
Whether its BTR36 or BTR39 for our camry's is a matter of as much confusion as one Mr.Barack Obama's authenticity of American Citizenship ;-) No easy answer but I would stick with what Whiteline recommends.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You should also get some new end links while your at it, the camry's rsb links can be a pita to get off without damaging them (depending on the condition).

·
Wagon Crew
Camry SWAGGER WAGON
1,515 Posts
shipping is rediculous on these. i think its like $100 or more to US. i got mine for $100 locally. i would FOR SURE wait for one closer.:thumbsup: (ebay)

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
You should also get some new end links while your at it, the camry's rsb links can be a pita to get off without damaging them (depending on the condition).
Good point. Go with the Moog ones over OEM.

·
Mario Mobile
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point, I'll wait for one that's got good shipping.

Anybody else have an A/C that whistles? When I have the air blowing whether it's warm cold etc. it gives a whistle, the higher the fan blows, the louder the whistle.

It's weird...

·
Registered
01 camry
172 Posts
are all of your vents open? mine does the same thing, it whistles when either of the side vents are closed the slightest amount. but it immediately goes away as soon as i open them.

just a thought

·
Mario Mobile
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really sure, will check tomorrow though. If anyone has other suggestions too so I could check tomorrow morning, let me know :3

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
Does you camry look like mdatrdcam's picture? if so, then the 20mm bar (BTR39) is the one for you.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Does you camry look like mdatrdcam's picture? if so, then the 20mm bar (BTR39) is the one for you.
A quick search says you're right. :eek: 92-01 get's the BTR39. God, I would have felt SUPER bad if the OP bought that other one. :facepalm:

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT get the BTR39Z. That's for the 02-06 models. That i'm 100% sure of.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
No. 92-96 gets BTR36. 97-01 - BTR39.
The TRD RSB fits 92-01. The whiteline equivalent should be interchangeable. Right?

edit: And the rear suspension is DEFINITELY the same on gen 3 and 4. :dunno:

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Don't know. BTR36 is 18 mm, BTR39 is 20mm. And the stock RSBs are different between gen 3 and gen 4 (thickness is different). Probably, you can install BTR39 on gen 3, but I am not sure will it be good or not.... Anyway, according to whiteline gen3 and gen4 should use different RSBs.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
The only thing that's different between gen 3/4 stock rsb's is the thickness then. Hmmm. Does ANYONE have a whiteline one actually installed? :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts