Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
893 Posts
thanks man. Im running on megan coils for now. just gotta put the camber bolts on so my freekin xxr 522 18X9.5 +25 wont rub in the rear
i just broke out the milwaukee grinder last weekend and shaved my rears completely flat--- it hasnt rubbed since! and mine are the same 18x9.5 +25.. what tires are you running? im on 225-40

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,248 Posts
i just broke out the milwaukee grinder last weekend and shaved my rears completely flat--- it hasnt rubbed since! and mine are the same 18x9.5 +25.. what tires are you running? im on 225-40
my fenders are rolled and pulled. running a 225/45. THinking about just getting 2 215 40 for the rear pluss the camber

G

·
ditto, unless you have to money to burn, an aftermarket strut bar or strut brace won't do anything for your handling. Your Camry already has a factory brace integrated between the front struts. might look cool though.
not true. i went through 2 strut bar and it does make a big different. the factory is good but not as good as the 3 point. next time try to drive a car with a aftermarket strut bar, u will be taking corner easier

·
Banned
893 Posts
not true. i went through 2 strut bar and it does make a big different. the factory is good but not as good as the 3 point. next time try to drive a car with a aftermarket strut bar, u will be taking corner easier
True.. the oem only has 2 point brace, most aftermarket are 3 point and will be better obviously...

def a good upgrade..

·
CAMRY is my livelihood...
2017 Lexus IS300 awd
352 Posts
Yeah the factory is no comparison to an aftermarket strut brace.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Limited
177 Posts
Please, where and when did you get your degree in mechanical engineering? Please explain to me how an aftermarket strut bar is more effective in redistributing the energy forces generated at the strut tower than the oem installed bar? ps, unless you have some way of measuring the deflection variance at the at the tower pivot or resulting cornering g-force increase between the two strut bars, you just have a seat of the pants opinion, which is ok, just don't state it as fact.

·
Banned
893 Posts
^^ wow, vey well put.

more important than the silly front strut bar is TIRES.. they're the only thing touching the pavement, and make drastically larger changes than one bar.. go from a set of summer tires to some all seasons, you'll know what i mean..

G

·
Please, where and when did you get your degree in mechanical engineering? Please explain to me how an aftermarket strut bar is more effective in redistributing the energy forces generated at the strut tower than the oem installed bar? ps, unless you have some way of measuring the deflection variance at the at the tower pivot or resulting cornering g-force increase between the two strut bars, you just have a seat of the pants opinion, which is ok, just don't state it as fact.
sorry if i dont have a degree

but

u know i would love to have u test mine on yur car to so u can see the different :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Limited
177 Posts
Kenny. cool video, but, the point was, the factory installed strut brace ties the two strut towers together exactly the same way, with the same effect that the "cool" looking video strut brace does, achieving exactly the same results. the chassis deflection depicted in the video is chassis deflection on a car without a strut brace. add a strut brace, the deflection goes away. is bigger, and badder and prettier better? i guess the same way chrome makes it go faster.

·
CAMRY is my livelihood...
2017 Lexus IS300 awd
352 Posts
I base my opinion on the fact that when the part is handled in the factory its fair to say it's not as sturdy as an aftermarket unit. Although it serves the purpose but so does the factory sway bars, but we upgrade those as well. A 3 point solid strut tower brace in place of the thin factory 2 point would be an improvement in structural integrity. Just as well an X brace would really benefit the car as well. The V brace in the rear is good but again there are better options, afterall the SE isn't the only Camry with the strut braces, XLE's have them too if equipped with reclining rear seats, but they haven't got that tight of a body even though equally equipped. Beefing any of those items will increase rigidity in the unibody chassis' but if you have a moonroof you really need to look into an X brace or run a risk of shearing some bolts within it. Just my 2 cents though.

Reactions: lijbu

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kenny. cool video, but, the point was, the factory installed strut brace ties the two strut towers together exactly the same way, with the same effect that the "cool" looking video strut brace does, achieving exactly the same results. the chassis deflection depicted in the video is chassis deflection on a car without a strut brace. add a strut brace, the deflection goes away. is bigger, and badder and prettier better? i guess the same way chrome makes it go faster.
I see where you both are coming from, but if you're going to get into the science of it you have to look at everything. Every material has a different strength and amount of pressure that would need to be applied to it before it bends. Without knowing the materials that any of them are made of nor knowing whether they are hollow or solid you can't assume that one isn't going to do any better than the other. For example: The factory on could be hollow steel and the aftermarket one could be solid steel. They're both going to have a point where they will give, but the solid aftermarket one will need more pressure before it gives. I believe that's what Kenny is trying to say. It's the same reason people switch from a 17mm rsb to a 19mm or 23mm rsb. They're all designed to do the same thing, but each one is going to give a different level of stiffness.

To Kenny, I think what Jbrnigan is trying to say is you can't definitively say that the addition of that part helped or hurt the car without having physical data that proves it to be better or worse. You need some kind of skid pad reading or something similar with before and after G reading otherwise it's just an opinion.

·
Registered
15 Avalon Touring SE
342 Posts
Does the newer SE's have a factory strut tower brace? My 07 did not have any between the strut towers so I bought the Ultra bar. It tightened the front of the car up noticeably. You don't realize how much the body is flexing until you brace it. Money well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
all this arguing over suspension bars... more surface area of a suspension bar will increase dampening as compression goes up too.. dunno about you but my 19mm sway bar handled better under load than my stock 16mm and my 23 mm handled better than my 19mm

...also a side note: trd stickers increase whp by 5 and also reduce aerodynamic drag too, better than chrome rims:Bruce:

·
Registered
'11 Camry SE V6
104 Posts
I've read that on some vehicles when upgrading their sway bars it's also necessary to brace the subframe because the bar could be literally torn out of the subframe (pictured below) although the sway bars on the gen 6/6.5 are mounted differently than on the example pic(eg civic) could it still be possible to experience something similar to this with the 23mm sway bar?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Does the newer SE's have a factory strut tower brace? My 07 did not have any between the strut towers so I bought the Ultra bar. It tightened the front of the car up noticeably. You don't realize how much the body is flexing until you brace it. Money well spent in my opinion.
I believe they can come on gen 6 and 6.5, but I don't know if they only come on the SE's or if they come on all models. Here's what the factory strut brace looks like so you can see if your car has one or not: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1173wt_939

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's the OEM Strut brace and you can barely notice it's there when it's on the car because it's covered by plastic. All you can really see are the ends where they bolt to the struts. You can actually use an aftermarket one along with it which is what most people do.

·
Registered
15 Avalon Touring SE
342 Posts
I believe they can come on gen 6 and 6.5, but I don't know if they only come on the SE's or if they come on all models. Here's what the factory strut brace looks like so you can see if your car has one or not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1173wt_939
That is on all Gen 6 Camrys but its not considered a strut bar brace. Its just a flimsy piece of sheet metal thats used to support the plastic cowl panel grille. It does function somewhat as a stiffening brace but how much do you think it will help if you can bend it over your knee? All I have to say is that there is a noticeable difference in the front end of my car after I put my bar on. On my drive to work I have to take some pretty crappy city streets and this is where I can really tell the difference.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is on all Gen 6 Camrys but its not considered a strut bar brace. Its just a flimsy piece of sheet metal thats used to support the plastic cowl panel grille. It does function somewhat as a stiffening brace but how much do you think it will help if you can bend it over your knee? All I have to say is that there is a noticeable difference in the front end of my car after I put my bar on. On my drive to work I have to take some pretty crappy city streets and this is where I can really tell the difference.
I'm not arguing for or against either side. I'm just trying to help clarify both points of view. I believe that the aftermarket braces do make a difference for the better, but I don't have any proof to back my opinion.

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
I've read that on some vehicles when upgrading their sway bars it's also necessary to brace the subframe because the bar could be literally torn out of the subframe (pictured below) although the sway bars on the gen 6/6.5 are mounted differently than on the example pic(eg civic) could it still be possible to experience something similar to this with the 23mm sway bar?
...no way

21 - 40 of 46 Posts