Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Limited
177 Posts
That is on all Gen 6 Camrys but its not considered a strut bar brace. Its just a flimsy piece of sheet metal thats used to support the plastic cowl panel grille. It does function somewhat as a stiffening brace but how much do you think it will help if you can bend it over your knee? All I have to say is that there is a noticeable difference in the front end of my car after I put my bar on. On my drive to work I have to take some pretty crappy city streets and this is where I can really tell the difference.
Cammer, IT IS a strut bar brace (you can call your dealer parts dept for confirmation!) If you or any of your friends can bend this piece of "sheet metal" over your knee there is money to made and I'll give big odds. The part was "designed" in (not unlike the rear strut brace on the SE) Longitudinal and torsional stiffnes is probably equal to any aftermarket part available (according to a friend who has seen the OE brace on my car and is a degreed structional engineer). As with many performance "bolt ons", the effect or result is often very subjective. Seat of pants feel, real or percieved, is a very effective marketing tool. And I'm as addicted to performance mods as the next guy, and have spent a wad of dough over the years making cars handle better and go faster. Man, wish I had half of that money back.

·
CAMRY is my livelihood...
2017 Lexus IS300 awd
352 Posts
That is on all Gen 6 Camrys but its not considered a strut bar brace. Its just a flimsy piece of sheet metal thats used to support the plastic cowl panel grille. It does function somewhat as a stiffening brace but how much do you think it will help if you can bend it over your knee? All I have to say is that there is a noticeable difference in the front end of my car after I put my bar on. On my drive to work I have to take some pretty crappy city streets and this is where I can really tell the difference.
Yeah you won't bend it over your knee,(I tried just for the hell of it) but it will twist pretty easily. An aftermarket strut bar would enhance the handling of the car as this is just a cowl strut brace. It can't be removed without modifications to re-mount the wiper motor though. Every Camry has it, the SE just gets more structural rigidity through other bracing and beefed up suspension. It wouldn't be all that hard though to give an XLE and SE upgrade as it has most of all the components already installed. I for one though do want the strut bar for mine with an under brace.

·
2017 Lexus IS300 awd
352 Posts
It's the OEM Strut brace and you can barely notice it's there when it's on the car because it's covered by plastic. All you can really see are the ends where they bolt to the struts. You can actually use an aftermarket one along with it which is what most people do.

That's a pic of a PZEV car, I thought those were only sold in California? How much of a difference is there between the standard 4cyl. and that one?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's a pic of a PZEV car, I thought those were only sold in California? How much of a difference is there between the standard 4cyl. and that one?
Neither of those cars are mine and haven't researched what you're asking about so I'm not sure. I was just using those pics to give a relatively clear view of the OEM strut brace installed.

·
2017 Lexus IS300 awd
352 Posts
Neither of those cars are mine and haven't researched what you're asking about so I'm not sure. I was just using those pics to give a relatively clear view of the OEM strut brace installed.
PZEV practically zero emissions vehicle. They're the California emission legal vehicle. They supposedly have less hp than the standard I4. Anyway I'm off topic. Thanks.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
My 2011 base model Camry has that same "strut brace". I'm not sure how effective it really is.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts