Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about the shade that goes up when the car has been parked in the sun and the interior gets HOT. Goes up without pushing the button.

Was at my favorite (and closest) dealer yesterday and asked about doing the fix as I was thinking about getting it fixed per a TSB the next time I get my service done. They did not have the replacement part in stock but said they could get it within a couple days. Ok, decided just for the heck of it to see how much the part (a relay) costs, even though it would be free under the TSB and Warranty. They said $455. WTF, is it made of gold? So I decided to check the price at another dealer, just in case my dealer made an error. $531. Neither dealer had the relay in stock. Called a third dealer. $462 and they had it in stock, so I made an appointment for 7:30 this morning and had the TSB done under warranty.
Took a little longer than the 0.9 flat rate hour, but at least now, it is all fixed and don't have to wonder why the shade is going up when I don't want it to go up.

The TSB and part numbers are listed in other threads in this forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took my car in to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and mentioned the window shade problem and the TSB. Got the car back and they told me it was a feature and not a problem. Next scheduled maintenance is December. This time I guess I'll take a copy of the TSB with me.

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
Dealer told me the is valid, but your VIN may have it N/A.
He said my VIN did not apply, but it does have a mind of it's own, some days.
I do like it as a feature

·
Registered
341 Posts
The dealer performed TSB-0157-14, "Rear Window Sunshade Rises With NO Switch Input", on my Avalon two weeks ago. It involves replacing a relay. Took them about 1.5 hours. Applies to your car if the VIN is BEFORE: 4T1BK1EB#EU128233 (non-hybrid) or 4T1BD1EB#EU034210 (hybrid). Not a big problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, so good. Car parked out in the sun a few times since the TSB. Inside of car very hot. Rear sunshade stayed down as it should.

The TSB worked.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm baffled by this thread. Since the "abnormal" rise of the rear sunshade on hot days helps keep the car interior cooler, why have it repaired? All one needs to do is push the button to lower it again and all is back to normal, except the car interior is not as hot. What am I missing? I can understand that it would be a problem if it went up spontaneously while the car underway, but it seems the issue only occurs when parked in the sun on hot days. Why not regard it as an unexpected feature?

Robert N.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model X
945 Posts
My TAH ltd doesn't have this feature. Wish it did.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm baffled by this thread. Since the "abnormal" rise of the rear sunshade on hot days helps keep the car interior cooler, why have it repaired? All one needs to do is push the button to lower it again and all is back to normal, except the car interior is not as hot. What am I missing? I can understand that it would be a problem if it went up spontaneously while the car underway, but it seems the issue only occurs when parked in the sun on hot days. Why not regard it as an unexpected feature?

Robert N.

I had that same thought, but then quickly realized that the faulty relay will probably fail at some point. If it fails when the sunshade it up I would have to get it fixed. The repair is free now under the 3/36 warranty. What do think the cost of the repair is after the warranty expires? My guess is $350 to $500.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Robert N.
It's annoying as hell. I don't know why you wouldn't want to get it fixed. By your reasoning, if you really wanted to put your sunshade up, you can just push a button. The problem with this is that it comes up at random times. Not just when the car is parked. Mine comes up when I start the car during hot days. It will come up, go down automatically when I put the car in reverse to back out, then it will go back up so I have to push the damn button to make it go down again. Sometimes it will come up while I'm driving. Call me crazy but I find that extremely annoying. If it was originally designed to come up automatically during hot days and go down during cold days, I would understand...

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's annoying as hell. I don't know why you wouldn't want to get it fixed. By your reasoning, if you really wanted to put your sunshade up, you can just push a button. The problem with this is that it comes up at random times. Not just when the car is parked. Mine comes up when I start the car during hot days. It will come up, go down automatically when I put the car in reverse to back out, then it will go back up so I have to push the damn button to make it go down again. Sometimes it will come up while I'm driving. Call me crazy but I find that extremely annoying. If it was originally designed to come up automatically during hot days and go down during cold days, I would understand...
If the sunshade is up, it will normally go down when you put the car in reverse to allow better visibility and then will go back up automatically. This is how it is supposed to work. However, as I mentioned in my post, if your sunshade goes up at random times that is certainly a legitimate problem that needs correction.

Robert N.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TSB-0157-14 worked. It took them about an hour to fix the relay. They didn't have the relay at the dealership when I first got there so they had to order one which took about a week. Problem solved!

·
2014 Avalon with Attitude
'14 Avalon '16 Prius
50 Posts
Stopped Working

Right at one year, my rear screen stopped working alltogether. When I told the dealer, they checked it out and proclaimed that the assembly needs to be replaced. They expect a two-week wail for parts.

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
K
It took 5 hours and 2 monkeys to replace mine.
Have to remove the entire rear seat and platform.

They put it back and flipped one seat belt so the release as inside the seat.

Another visit and they fixed, but OMG.

They did have stock of the curtain in LA. One day wait.

Also $1500 (charged) warranty repair.

Reactions: KRMcG

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer wants me to pay $1,300.00 to get it fixed. The warranty is past. This problem has been around since at least 2005. My shade is up, and it won't go down. My dealer, Dolan Reno Toyota, wants $1,300.00 to put the shade down. Frankly, I would be happy if the shade was down and disabled. But I can't get it down. The TSB does not extend your warranty. This is a little cash cow for the manufacturer and the dealers. They know it will probably fail.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took my car in to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and mentioned the window shade problem and the TSB. Got the car back and they told me it was a feature and not a problem. Next scheduled maintenance is December. This time I guess I'll take a copy of the TSB with me.
My sunshade went up on its own and got stuck in the up position. Took the car in to the dealer with a copy of the tsb. They needed to replace the relay first before any other troubleshooting could be done. Relay arrived a few days later and they installed it but it did not fix the stuck sunshade. They ordered a sunshade overnight. Next day they replaced the sunshade assembly and all is good now.

While I don't expect to have the sunshade going up on its own now that the relay has been replaced, I'll have to wait until next summer to know for sure.

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure, but I am guessing through the trunk.

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure, but I am guessing through the trunk.

Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid rear shade stuck and grinding

The rear sunshade on our 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited was getting stuck and grinding. After taking the whole back apart to remove the sunshade assembly, and after some troubleshooting, I ventured to take the sunshade motor assembly apart and discovered that the small transfer gear of the motor assembly has broken teeth. The larger gear wheel is made of metal, while the smaller one is made of plastic.

To take the sunshade out, the seats had to be taken out and the side paneling removed, also the main tray panel that sits behind the seats, under the rear window and on top of rear speakers needs to be removed. So the removal is done inside the vehicle, NOT in the trunk. In my model, the sunshade was bolted down by four bolts - two on each side and two in the front middle. (not an easy job)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts