Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 XR
Anybody have a rear window shatter on it's own?
No sign of impact, not too hot, and the sunroof was open to vent anyway.
Also, the glass is spread around equally, outside & inside the car, & the middle part of the glass is still hanging there, it's broken mostly from where the braces that hold it open are attached.
Anybody else see this???????

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I've heard of it happening, not on a Matrix, but on an old Pontiac 6000. No ideas why :confused:

·
Banned
352 Posts
thats kinda shity but if it happened to me id just laugh about it its too crazy to be very upset over

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Lot's of them when I lived in Arizona, but you said it wasnt too hot so:dunno:

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Well i kno that if you heat up glass and you put water on it (rapidly make it cold) it will shatter...
I doubt that helps though.

This sounds strange though. Maybe cause the sun was beating on it?

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
IF the glass was flawed then it's resistance would be much weaker thus it could break under leaser conditions

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
:eek: Not again! Don't worry, its nothing you did. This happened to my girlfriend's 2003 corolla! Her sunroof just shattered! She just had sunroof tilted up and nothing hit it. It just happened. You need to take it to a dealership and they'll fix it for you. Thats what they did for her.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
my brothers' wife had a Saturn and that shit did it on it's own.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
talk to toyota...there might be more people this is hapenning to?

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
If the mounting brackets for the window struts are drilled through ther glass, there might be imperfections at those holes or maybe the struts were tighened on with too much torque.

Sounds like a possible big headache for Toyota.

It could also ne just one batch of rear windows too. I'd be curious of what your dealer tells you.

Keep us up to date. I want to get a Matrix next year...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked to the dealer today, sounds like they're gonna take care of it w/out argument.
I'll post again in a couple of days.

If the same thing happens, I recommend not moving anything 'til you talk to the dealer; first question they asked was,
"Have you cleaned it up yet?"
I told 'em, "no, everything is exactly like I saw it"
Second question,
"Do you have a digital camera?"
I'm e-mailing the pics, so they can see exactly what it looks like.

BTW, CamryKen,
If the mounting brackets for the window struts are drilled through ther glass, there might be imperfections at those holes or maybe the struts were tighened on with too much torque.

That's exactly what I think happened; the struts are drilled thru the glass. The glass at the bottom on the sides is blown out, top sides glass fell inside the car, & the middle is spiderwebbed but still hanging there. The dealer's service manager said the same thing when I described the layout.

Thanks all for the input, I'll post the results as Toyota follows up.

so far so good........

·
searchin'
389 Posts
the same thing happened to my friend's friend's hatch Accord, the rear window just cracked from end to end on its own a few weeks ago

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
well how MCTOY said it arozona they crack and u like in hawaii and its hot there to i think that could of happend

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2007 Rav 4 and last night we go into the car and shut the door and the rear hatch window shattered. It is garaged there wasn't any trauma to the glass. Is this another Toyota defect?

·
11,440 Posts
I own a 2007 Rav 4 and last night we go into the car and shut the door and the rear hatch window shattered. It is garaged there wasn't any trauma to the glass. Is this another Toyota defect?
Was the garage hot/warm? Had you noticed any cracks in the glass?

·
My Other Truck
4,263 Posts
skyhamill, welcome to TN.... and good on ya for searching for the topic before posting! It may be a seven-year-old thread, but it's just as relevant now as it was then.

I don't think it's a defect, nor is it a Toyota-only problem. Several years ago we owned a Chevy Astro van (I know, I know...) and one of its side windows shattered while parked in our driveway on a warm day. Nobody was near it at the time. My glass guy said it's not unusual -- the glass may have been somewhat stressed at its attachment points. It seems to be something that sometimes happens with no good explanation, and probably won't happen to you again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was the garage hot/warm? Had you noticed any cracks in the glass?
The garage was warm but it has been much warmer (as in HOT) in the past. No cracks, not even a scratch. It has been noted that cars/vans that are not of the Toyota brand have had this problem and it is not an uncommon occurrence That does not seem very safe for an object that is propelled 60-80 miles per hr down the road.

·
11,440 Posts
The garage was warm but it has been much warmer (as in HOT) in the past. No cracks, not even a scratch. It has been noted that cars/vans that are not of the Toyota brand have had this problem and it is not an uncommon occurrence That does not seem very safe for an object that is propelled 60-80 miles per hr down the road.

I see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts