Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just recently received a 1996 Camry Sedan. It has over 200,000 miles on it but other then that it's in almost excellent shape. However, there are a few dings on the rear driver side fender and a few on the hood. A friend of mine and I are wanting to start a business by buying and repairing cars. And we figured this would be an excellent vehicle to start out with. Now my question is, we were considering doing all the work ourselves, we've been working on cars by our selves for a few years now, and for the parts that may be hard we have a few relatives that will be willing to help. We were gonna start out by buying a whole new hood, and pulling the rear fender out and sanding it down. Then repaint the whole car with a new paint (( Same color )) then the dashboard has few cracks so we were gonna replace that also. Then the real question is, would it be best to rebuild the existing engine or be cheaper / better to buy a whole new engine all together. And how much would this car sell for, granted if we do a good job. Thanks in advance!

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,522 Posts
Unless you want to lose your shirt, do the minimum amount of work necessary to make the rig run well and look and smell decent -- $10 of engine brite will up the resale a lot more than an engine rebuild. Use the aforementioned kbb to get a rough estimate of the resale value of the rig. Craigslist is also another way to get a rough estimate of the worth of the rig, almost most folks are way proud of their cars (i.e., overpriced as hell).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts