Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, First post!!:clap:

I have a 91 2wd Previa that has served my family well for yrs. But recently it has been having a intermittent starting problem. Sometimes starts fine and sometimes just one "click". I have checked connections at batt. and starter, batt. good. I did some searches and found that you can buy a rebuild kit for the starter on ebay...STARTER REPAIR KIT 1995 TOYOTA PREVIA wOpt Cold Region.
Questions...
Think it is the starter?
How hard is it to "rebuild"?
Will the kit for the 95 work on my 91?
The car was from a warm climate originally and now is in a cold one, might this be a problem too?
Thanks for any info!!!

·
just a nobody
Echo
6,610 Posts
Often times you can get away with just replacing the starter contacts inside, however, that would depend on the mileage of the vehicle. If it is high mile, replacing the complete starter would be something to consider.

As far as 'rebuild' is concern, there is actually not very much you can do, except replacing the contacts, otherwise, the parts cause will be higher than a replacement.

The cold region starters, as far as I am aware of, is higher wattage to enable it to start the engine even at low temperatures. However, the problem you are experiencing may have more to do with the contacts from the symptom you had described. The contacts will probably run you about $30 from the dealer.

Do a search on this site will provide you with lots of info about starters.

N.E.O.

·
GAW
1 Posts
Rebuild the starter

I own a 91 all wheel drive Previa and have rebuilt my starter for under $25. The symptom I had is as follows. I turned the key to the start position and the starter would either engage or just click. It progressively got worse to the point that it would take multiple 'key' attempts to get the starter to turn the engine over. The problem is uneven wear on the copper contacts that complete the motor circuit. I bought the 'Starter Clicker Fixer Kit' on e-bay and received the necessary parts and instructions on how to replace the worn parts. Replacing the parts was easy. Getting the starter out takes a lot of patience, especially since I had to remove the front drive shaft to get to the starter. You'll need to work from above (hatch under the driver seat) and below. I do own the Previa factory service manual, so that helped me find the bolts that hold the starter in place. I had no problem putting all the parts back together. This was five years ago and the starter has been working fine ever since.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same prob. w/ my '91 Previa. Messed w/ this for too dang long. Had it rebuilt, I thought, @ a closer
elect. rebuild place than my normal guy's....... Stupid move.
The prob. stayed w/ me until I took it to my normal competent elect. repair shop & they fixed it properly.
A internal ground wire had worn out, come loose & sometimes made contact w/ the housing & sometimes did not.
Installing new or rebuilt at the beginning would have been much more satisfying & cheaper in the long run.
G,
I'm blushing here....... live & learn........ again & again & again........

·
Registered
Land Whales
289 Posts
dude, dont bother re building it, just get a new one. no seriously.

·
Registered
‘96 Previa/‘97 4Runner
146 Posts
I was gonna say, why rebuild? A new or remanufactured starter with a lifetime warranty is probably $100-$150 at the parts place. If you're a little bit mechanically inclined, you're good. Free starters for life should you have the van that long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
new is nice, but....

New is nice, but not all "replace for life" are created equal.

I 1st got to going to the top auto elect. rebuilder in town, decades ago, instead of Auto Zombie for an alternator on a 19?? Merc. Lynx (don't ask).
After changing out the dam_ thing 3 times in 4 wks (2.5" clearance for my 5" hands) because they were using substandard rectifiers in theirs at the time, I could have done this swap in my sleep, not that I got much of that then anyway.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/images/smilies/headbang.gif
Yea, AZ kept giving me new ones for $0, But I had other things to do besides that.
Went to the best Auto Elect. Rebuilder in town, For the same $ they installed it for me & I never
had to mess w/ it again.
Got my $ back from Auto Zero.
Been using Auto Rebuilder for Alt. & Starters ever since, especially when they installed it for the purchase price!..... just need to go to the best one 1st.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/images/smilies/beerchug.gif
New is nice, but.....
G

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma 4x4
19 Posts
The contacts usually fix most problems, but the starter is a PITA to get on and off. I bought a reman from the dealer and no more problems. The cold-spec starters have a bigger armature/case section, but are interchangeable as to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts