Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am in the prosses of rebuilding a Solara motor. So i was doing some research and noticed that the rx300 has the same 3.0 as us but the Comp ratio is 10.5:1 when ours is like 9.2:1 or something like that. So what i was woundering is if i could just bolt the heads from a camry on there and since it has higher compression and it would give me more power.
sorry if this seems to be a dumb qestion but i have to know :drinking:

P.s If this wont work let me know if u have any other susgestions . I only have like 600 bucks to finish this motor.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
RX300 has different ECU data set.
I would think that a head and intake from the ES300 would be nicer and fit easier.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
N20Toyota said:
Hello i am in the prosses of rebuilding a Solara motor. So i was doing some research and noticed that the rx300 has the same 3.0 as us but the Comp ratio is 10.5:1 when ours is like 9.2:1 or something like that. So what i was woundering is if i could just bolt the heads from a camry on there and since it has higher compression and it would give me more power.
sorry if this seems to be a dumb qestion but i have to know :drinking:

P.s If this wont work let me know if u have any other susgestions . I only have like 600 bucks to finish this motor.
you might run into problems with trying to mount the engine from the rx300 into your car since the rx is rwd. as for the heads go to a part store and aske for the head gasket for both engines. and compare them. you might be able to use the heads from the rx on your motor. since your doing all this i would suggest port and polishing the heads and intake also shavings the heads down will also help gain more hp and compression.

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your Info. I was also woundering if any one has ever installed VVT-I heads on a camry V6 if so was it alot of work. I see all these 1mfze motors that have more HP and TQ i am just trying to figure out how they got that much more

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
if you don't have vvti then don't put the heads for a vvti engine on it.

i p&p my acis valve and it gave me alot of tq and i port matched alot of my intake manifold

·
Registered
49 Posts
would he have to change ecu's if he changed heads?? don't people who put the 3sge head on the 5s head, have the swap ecu's also.?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Re: Re: Rebuilding Solara motor

2wickedtoyz said:
you might run into problems with trying to mount the engine from the rx300 into your car since the rx is rwd. as for the heads go to a part store and aske for the head gasket for both engines. and compare them. you might be able to use the heads from the rx on your motor. since your doing all this i would suggest port and polishing the heads and intake also shavings the heads down will also help gain more hp and compression.

good luck :thumbup:
The rx is based on the camry chassis. It is sideways mounted and is AWD mainly and the rear wheels get power when slippage is detected. Not sure if there were 2wd models. But definitly not RWD.

·
RedKnight
99 Toyota Solara SLE
74 Posts
The Gen-1 Solara's stock compression is 10.5:1, the same as the RX300. My wife has a 2000 RX300. They came in 2WD or AWD. I've often wondered about putting those heads from VVT-i on the Solara too. I'm sure you would need the ECU to control the valve timing. I'm not sure what other issues there are. I can tell you that the head gasket for the 1MZ-FE w/VVT-i fits the Solara 1MZ-FE and is much better. It is a MLS gasket (3-layer). Let me guess, you are rebuilding the motor because you lost your ring lands? If so, join the club, check out my web page for more info. -JoeB

·
RedKnight
99 Toyota Solara SLE
74 Posts
05v6solara said:
JoeB what's Ring Land?
The ring lands are the little grooves in the side of the piston that the compression and oil rings set in. You can imagine with an engine that is already running pretty high compression (10.5:1) you get a little knock and cheap pistons won't hold up long. -JoeB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts