Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 MCV20R 1mzfe 3.0 V6 Camry Vienta Grande - Australian
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received slightly different tie rod ends to the original. The part is longer but think think this just means less adjustment to get the same angle.
Not sure about the difference in taper. Part number is PISTA LTE010790 and was expecting Protex TE9916. Have googled the first one/replacement and cannot find any listings for it. Would there be much of a difference as long as taper is in the knuckle and torque is right?

Automotive tire Wood Table Gas Synthetic rubber Wood Household hardware Wood stain Hardwood Gas

·
Registered
experimental internet gas
519 Posts
refund? you bought one thing and got another...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
refund? you bought one thing and got another...
yep, trying to avoid a refund as just did one before. and these are already on the car... Have messaged the ebay seller.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It sucks but if it was intentional, that would be a bait and switch and is very, very illegal. I can understand not wanting to keep doing refunds as it can get frustrating for all parties involved, especially since you already installed it, but you paid for a a particular item, you should get it and not something else. And for something that allows you to control the direction of the vehicle...you probably don't want to be too forgiving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, hopefully they will send out the right ones.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,378 Posts
Be careful, Aus-made Camrys have different steering racks and tie-rods to Jap-built (we use a TRW rack for instance, it has larger threads on the rack-ends but I'm not sure about the outer tire rod) so quite possible you got a Camry part but for the wrong market.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That could explain why my inner tie rods have no flats in them...had to buy a tie rod removal tool that could remove inner rods with no flats. That, or they got replaced with aftermarket parts.

Sucks that there's no aussie parts catalogues. How do you know the 3rd and 4th gens use TRW racks though?

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,378 Posts
That could explain why my inner tie rods have no flats in them...had to buy a tie rod removal tool that could remove inner rods with no flats. That, or they got replaced with aftermarket parts.

Sucks that there's no aussie parts catalogues. How do you know the 3rd and 4th gens use TRW racks though?
Searching through the Protex catalogue trying to make up a bastard system on my AE102 to adapt the Sportivo hubs (plus have a mate who has a heavily built 5SGTE SXV10). The Aus-built Corollas also got TRW racks which tend to have M16 threads on the rackends rather than the Jap-built M14 and M15 ones

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh poo...I hope the inner tie rod threads were kept the same globally, I've got a full set of OEM inner and outer tie rods from amayama (fun fact: if you don't mind waiting, their list price for those parts are cheaper than what toyota buys them for...) because I'm quite certain mine are shot after 20+ years of existing. But if I take everything apart only to find out that the threads are different I'm gonna flip my shit.

Has your mate dynoed that 5s? Always great to see more turbo builds lol. Especially if they still retain their grocery getter look.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,378 Posts
Oh poo...I hope the inner tie rod threads were kept the same globally, I've got a full set of OEM inner and outer tie rods from amayama (fun fact: if you don't mind waiting, their list price for those parts are cheaper than what toyota buys them for...) because I'm quite certain mine are shot after 20+ years of existing. But if I take everything apart only to find out that the threads are different I'm gonna flip my shit.
I've used Amayama tonnes in the past. Unless you've got the part numbers directly from Toyota Aus, then decent chance you've ended up buying Jap-market tie rods and they'll be different threads/lengths. One of the pitfalls of our local-content laws and unique models (5th gen Camrys are worse, they're completely different to US/etc despite looking the same), as well as there being no Aus-market Toyota EPGs online anywhere.

Has your mate dynoed that 5s? Always great to see more turbo builds lol. Especially if they still retain their grocery getter look.
370HP at the wheels on E85, 320HP on 98. And apart from being slightly lowered and on ~17s, it's still stock externally.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Goddamn...do you guys go hunting on the weekends? lol

Damn...was clinging on to any shred of hope that I didn't have incorrect parts but damn and blast...time to grab part numbers from a dealership again. At least I can put these inner and outer tie rods up for sale.

Update: dealership got back to me - 45046-06080 for outer tie rod & 45503-06080 for inner tie rod

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, did exactly that the first time around. So took the wheel out, removed the old tie rod, and placed the new tie rod on, but it's not going around. Yes, I actually had the 16mm TRW rack and bought 15mm tie rod ends... supplier gave a full refund. This time, the seller has confirmed these are the right ones... Did a "wobble" check and it's actually LCA bushings that are more of an issue....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts