Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here’s a thermostat DIY for the 1MZ-FE from the Camry forum. Hope you got an OEM t’stat? A lot of the aftermarket stats are junk. Be sure to install it with the jiggle valve positioned at 12 o’clock. The DIY doesn’t mention that because the Stant stat he used doesn’t have one.

Thanks for the tutorial. I did not get a OEM but can take it back. It's too cold to put it in right now. I got a Mahle, which I was told is a manufacturer for Toyota. When I looked at them, it seemed to be a much higher quality. It has a lifetime warranty but I guess anybody can say anything.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
I’ve never heard Mahle was an OEM for Toyota stats. Kuzeh is, but they’re hard to find. I’ve had so many bad experiences with aftermarket stats I won’t use anything but OEM. Most recently I put a Stant OE grade stat in my F150 about 4 years ago. In a few months, it wasn’t holding temp high enough. Got one at the Ford dealer, and it’s been fine ever since.

·
Registered
97 Avalon XLS 179 k
61 Posts
Even though i dont have a CEL light m going to hook up a code reader and look for any codes, also am going to get a thermal laser temp gun and see what my temp is going into the CAT and what it is going out.... if its much hotter at the outtake ill know the cat is done for, but for sure, this thing has thrown EGR codes before which can lead to bad cat.
Also a new thing is a water leak under the drivers side dash, which is either the sunroof channel or sealent at bottom of windshield. ONE more thing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thought I would do an update. I went through a few more tanks of gas and things improved a bit but not as much as I would like. Running around 18 MPG now which is still lower than last winter. I don't have much choice for gas in town - Clark and Hometown and a BP by the highway (always 10 cents more per gallon). Got gas at Costco in the next town and seeing better mileage. As soon as I get somewhat decent weather here, I am going to replace the thermostat. Staying in the 160s must be hurting mileage.

I wanted to circle back to the Mahle thermostat that I bought. I was told it was an OEM but someone raised some doubts. I went an looked at a Toyota boxed OEM and it doesn't look any different than the Mahle. I did look at other replacements and they looked different and built a lot cheaper. Much lighter and smaller springs and thinner metal. The box for the Mahle says Made in Japan, so I am going to trust this one. Here are some pics of it.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Avalon XL
72 Posts
Mahle makes pretty decent OE replacement parts. However, I still recommend getting an OEM Toyota thermostat. I really just stick with Toyota OEM when it comes to any and all coolant related parts, honestly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is an update. They weather finally got good enough to work on the car and I got the thermostat in. Did a complete drain on the cooling system through all of the petcocks and filled with the correct antifreeze after replacing it. The gasket was very mushy and I was surprised that it wasn't leaking.

Now the car heats up much more quickly and it gets to 180 no problem. Like I said before that with the old one, it would hover in the 160s. I ran one tank since the replacement and got 22 MPG. There was about 30 miles of highway driving on that tank so that could up the average a little bit.

Anyway, very pleased with the progress and I want to thank everybody for their help.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts