Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,641 Posts
Whenever I push the recirculate button on my AC it will only stay o for a couple of minutes. Is the way it is supposed to operate?

Thank you,
What model do you have?? Base with manual system or Sport/Limited with Automatic system??

If you have the Auto Climate control system the Artifical Intelligence logic can override mode settings based on various inputs from sensors..

Link to how the Artifical Intelligence /Neural Network works.

How the Automatic Climate control works

· Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,641 Posts
Sounds like you need to talk to the service dept.
Would think without the Artifical intelligence logic used on the Auto control system you should have no problem with keeping it in recirculate mode.

· Registered
24 Posts
the recirc automatically turns off to prevent fogged windows (and can also prevent sour smells from the vents caused by mold and mildew buildup from the stagnent air and moisture in vent pipes.) this is normal operation in the highlander and the FJ cruiser, most likely on all models with electronic controls.

· Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,641 Posts
the recirc automatically turns off to prevent fogged windows (and can also prevent sour smells from the vents caused by mold and mildew buildup from the stagnent air and moisture in vent pipes.) this is normal operation in the highlander and the FJ cruiser, most likely on all models with electronic controls.
The original OP stated the recirc mode turns off after only a couple of minutes.

Could you be more specific on the time the system stays in recirc mode.

· Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,641 Posts
I will find out and even time my auto system so we have a baseline for the recirc timeout
Sounds great!! :thumbup:

You would think something like this would be explained in the owners manual..but Nay...Nay:confused:

· Registered
24 Posts
was told the recirc will turn off below 48 degrees to prevent window fogging, how long this takes was not expressed. but I was told if you hold the recirc button down for more than 5 seconds it will override the feature and keep it in recirc till you shut off the vehicle, I have not verified this yet as it is not cold enough when I drive to test it

· Registered
8 Posts
I have the manual A/C and mine does the same thing. If the temperature outside is below 50, the system will not stay in recirculate mode. Yesterday, we had temperatures around 60 and the system stayed in recirculate mode with no problem. I was sort of worried about it until I noticed the temperature pattern.

· Registered
24 Posts
sweet! I think I helped out!!! could somebody try holding the recirc button for 5 seconds (or more) and see if it overrides the fresh air function, I should have morning temps cold enough tomorrow, but I have the Skyline this week & wife has the HL so I cant try it

· Registered
24 Posts
there is likely some secret squirrel manual that states how the system works, and other features of the highlander, like what can be turned off or on or adjusted like seatbelt buzzers and one touch unlock using the factory scan tool. when I worked for BMW there was a sheet the customer filled out selecting daytime running lights, one touch lock, seat and radio memory retainment for last key used, ect. the customer had to fill it out prior to inital delivery of the car so the preferances could be programmed...why doesnt Toyota do that??? and why do I have to call Toyota to figure out how this stuff operates? my owners manual needs to be way thicker with this info.

· Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,641 Posts
Yes it worked!

Held the button for 5 seconds on the recircuit stayed on. This should really be in the manual!
Yeap...but the average Toyota owner is not into all of the capabilities in the Toyota they own.

Exhibit #1..my wife's aunt has an older Camry and didn't know you could turn the headlights on manually. She left the dealers lot with headlight switch set to auto and six years later when I changed her burned out headlight bulb and turned the headlights on to make sure it worked she was amazed that you could turn the lights on manually.

Exhibit #1..again a neighbor with a new Camry valet parked it at our local hospital. The valet attendent turned the headlight switch from Auto to Off. My neighbor had to call the dealer to find out how to get the headlights working again!!!:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.