Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on replacing both Knock Sensors on 03 Avalon with 150 K miles along with coolant hose, wire harness, gaskets. Looking for the replacement sensors and I have found cheap DENSO's (part 89615-12090) on Amazon and expensive DENSO's on dealer parts websites. Any recommendations in terms of the cheap ones found on Amazon or is their a non-Denso that is moderately prices that are reliable?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
If they are the same part number you should be okay... but I feel that lately a lot of counterfeit OEM parts have been reported from Amazon lately... The main resources I go for essential OEM parts (spark plugs, O2 sensors) is RockAuto, any Toyota Parts Website, any eBay seller that is related to a Toyota Parts Website, then the dealership. For non-essential OEM parts (bumpers, grilles, clips, chrome trim) I go for RockAuto or eBay. I don't have Amazon Prime so I usually stay away from it unless they are the only place to get the part.

·
Registered
906 Posts
+1 what Vangm25 says.

Neither eBay nor Amazon cares anything about whether a part is counterfeit -- conceptually e/A are only the shelves that other people fill up. Unfortunately, it appears as though the bad guys have noticed that "Denso" is a magic name and counterfeit the parts, including the box.

Rock Auto appears to police their vendors. Toyota OEM parts vendors who maintain listings here on TN are reliable. And likewise for your local dealer(s).

Although I'm terminally cheap, I have learned via some painful lessons to treat the price differential between a reliable source and Amazon/eBay as an insurance payment.

Especially when the part takes hours to get to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the NTK ID0166 Knock Sensors as replacement from Rock Auto.
Has anyone had any experience with these?

·
Registered
906 Posts
The OEM sensor is $162 -- that's a $35 insurance payment to go with OEM. $70 total. Weigh what you'd charge yourself to go back in and change a second-tier sensor.

Check with Boch Toyota South, one of the vendors here on TN for their price-- they seem to discount further than most online Toyota dealer parts departments. P/n is 89615-12120

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with going with the extra level assurance-thanks. So far Toyota Part Deal.com and Toyota Overstock which looks like Lakeland Toyota are 173.00 each an 183.00 for Boch Toyota plus 5.00 discount over 200. Any experience with the first two in terms of being reputable? I recall some time ago ordering something from Overstock (Lakeland). Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did the knock sensor relocation, because I didn't feel like taking apart my entire engine to replace the harness. I just used the beck and arnley knock sensor and it worked pretty good. However, if you are actually replacing them and taking the engine apart to do so, for the cost of not doing everything again, I would just got OEM Denso.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,913 Posts
If you aren't paying at least $150 apiece from a dealer site, you're getting fake sensors. That's a good rule-of-thumb. You want the -12090 Densos, not the -12050 Matsushitas.

Not sure on the NTKs, they may or may not be rebranded OE, because NTK/NGK owns Airtex/Wells now which is a Beck/Arnley-style reboxer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replaced harness and I get the same codes. I ohmed the sensors before putting everything back together and that checked out.

Used old harness to do the relocate procedure. So far no codes after driving about 50 miles. Before it’s come up after 5 miles.

What do you think the chances are that the motor is knocking so much that it causes this code? I read that dirt injectors could cause this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts