Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few vehicles stuck in the mud of a parking lot and started thinking, where would I hook-up a tow line should the occasion arise? My 5TH Gen has no " towing eyelet " or a place to install one... The bottom is completely sealed off 3/4 of the way back and nothing at the rear that I can

see in the way of something to hook on to..How is a tow truck or a good Samaritan supposed to attach a tow line??? Nothing in the owners manual at all.. I just want to be ready for what I don't want to happen.. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
There is no rear recovery point unless you install a hitch, there is a right read tie down, but if used as a recovery point, the bumper fascia will likely be damaged because it's mount too high. The front recover points are on the bumper fascia, (two small covers) on all but the Adventure/Trail which was omitted for some reason on many, if not all Adventures/Trail models. See page 618 8-2. Steps to take in an emergency in the owner's manual to learn about the tow eyelet which is stored in the tool kit in the spare tire well.

·
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
33 Posts
Sadly nearly all of the unibody vehicles have no tow points as we were used to see on vehicles with a frame -- like the current 4Runner. So if you have a tow hitch you've got a rear towing point, but nothing for the front.

I **believe** that the small eyebolts that screw into those openings on the bumper are more for securing the vehicle during ocean transport than for pulling out of a ditch. I also **believe** that most tow trucks now use a recovery strap that is pulled around both wheels on either the front or rear axle, then hooked to a tow chain/strap hook.

Here's a YouTube video that shows a recovery strap being threaded from above the radiator down around the bumper attachment points. Start at 4:30 - 5, as the beginning has a lot of useless semi-commentary:

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
I **believe** that the small eyebolts that screw into those openings on the bumper are more for securing the vehicle during ocean transport than for pulling out of a ditch.
Not true, read the owner's manual, it clearly shows it for recovery and towing, it's not a small eyebolt, it's pretty stout, it screws into the subframe behind the bumper cover, eyelets are metric threaded with a shank that's about ¾" in diameter, lots of R4W members acquire an additional tow eyelet to use as a front tie down for roof top carried canoes and such on their 3rd and 4th gens.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/197-4-5-general/295939-tow-hook.html#post2672407

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Sadly nearly all of the unibody vehicles have no tow points as we were used to see on vehicles with a frame -- like the current 4Runner. So if you have a tow hitch you've got a rear towing point, but nothing for the front.

I **believe** that the small eyebolts that screw into those openings on the bumper are more for securing the vehicle during ocean transport than for pulling out of a ditch. I also **believe** that most tow trucks now use a recovery strap that is pulled around both wheels on either the front or rear axle, then hooked to a tow chain/strap hook.

Be aware that your XLE HV cannot be towed with any of the wheels on the ground, must be flat bed or wheel lift w/dolly hauled, read page 625 of the HV owner's manual.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM0R010U/pdf/OM0R010U.pdf

■When towing the vehicle
Be sure to transport the vehicle
with all four wheels raised off the
ground. If the vehicle is towed
with the tires contacting the
ground, the drivetrain or related
parts may be damaged, the vehicle
may fly off the truck, or electricity
generated by the operation
of the motor may cause a fire to
occur depending on the nature of
the damage or malfunction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Weird thing is that the cars reviewed on YouTube have the eyelet covers and same with the RAV4s pictured on the Toyota.ca and com websites. Why are they missing?Lame.

·
2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
RAV4 Hybrid AWD XLE
33 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that there is a big difference between "recovery" and "towing". In our culture we don't make the distinction very clear, but some of the products (and videos) do clearly show the difference between a "tow line" with metal clip hooks on each end, and a "recovery/snatch strap" with nylon loops at each end.

Towing tends to be defined as pulling a vehicle on firm ground or pavement, usually on ordinary road grades. Recovery tends to be defined as pulling the vehicle out of a ditch or snowbank or mudhole, with much steeper angles and shorter distances.

Great news that the "tow eyelets" as the manual calls them are rated for enough force to allow towing. For a steep /difficult recovery job you might want to consider backing it up with a recovery strap looped around something strong under the car, but YMMV.

<-- covers the tow vs recovery issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts