Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
i would think the higher grit sandpaper like 3000 grit and when you do it i would wet sand gently, should make the clear coat nice & glossy.

good luck,
Keri

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Keri. My one tail is kind of dark, I'm considering just sanding it all down and starting over.

The other tail is drying right now.

I decided to use the Testors paint, which is so far turning out beautifully.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Tail isn't dark, just the clear-coat went on kind of opaque, but now that it's drying, it cleared up nicely.

I have the other tail in the basement drying it's second coat of paint, then it's time for clearcoat. :)

I think I'm only going to use 2 coats of clear on each.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
2 coats of clear is more than enough, you don't want it to turn out too glossy which would look kinda weird.

i've been experimenting with my tails too right now...and i first tried using the krylon stained glass paint in red. after 3 attempts i can safely say that paint is pure crap. it bubbled up & gave a "wavy" texture to the lens every single time and though i sprayed very light, it would come out so red it looked black if you know what i mean.

so i'm going back to my most excellent spraying testors candy apple red and seeing what kind of results i get from that. i guess its a good thing the tail i have been practicing on was an extra that i picked up off ebay for $10 :)

post pics when your finished, looks like you will finish way before me :)

Keri

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm already done, I'd just like to lightly sand it a bit more. I'll take some pictures tomorrow though. :)

The clearcoat suggests a 24hr drying period to prevent finger-prints. I carefully, so not to touch the painted part (I taped mine off so the black edges wouldn't get sprayed) reinstalled my tails. I figure if anything, outside is cleaner for them than on my basement floor.

Suffice to say, I got a glimpse with a flashlight, and it looks quite good.

Let me know how you make out.

BTW, I did 2 coats of testors and 2 coats of clearcoat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts