Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i know next to nothing about the whole gear ratios and regearing goodies. if you kind folks could answer some basic questions for me i will tell Buddha to give you a lot of karma.
what are the benefits to re-gearing?
how would you go about re-gearing ?
what is a good gear ratio? (im sure it depends on the needs of the driver)
can anybody successfully regear with proper knowledge?
do i seem like a complete idiot now that you read this thread and will you respond to such a pathetic thread?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
Well first things first...have you done a search through the truck section? There are probably 500 threads about gearing. What I'd suggest is spend a little time here digging through some posts - you'll learn a lot.

Some benefits of re gearing (and thanks, but not into the buddha stuff)
-quicker acceleration
-better mileage in the case of going to a deeper gear ratio, such as from 4.10 to 4.88
-being able to use 5th gear up hills

If you buy a gear set but don't know how to set up gears, it would be a good idea to have a shop do it for you, then you can install the differential assembly yourself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
such a quick respond! you get 10 buddha stars!
so DCM good advice i should spend some time looking but its late and my first thought was to be a lazy person and just ask, although i will look when i conjure up the motivation. And one thing i forgot to ask, is there any negatives to re-gearing?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
okay so i know next to nothing about the whole gear ratios and regearing goodies. if you kind folks could answer some basic questions for me i will tell Buddha to give you a lot of karma.
what are the benefits to re-gearing?
Regaining power lost when switching to taller tires

how would you go about re-gearing ?
Take it to a shop and tell them what you want

what is a good gear ratio?
Depends on the new tire size.

can anybody successfully regear with proper knowledge?
It requires someone with special tools and lots of experience.
Which judging by your questions, isn't you. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks. so how much will it cost and wats a good ratio for 31s?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
4.56 is the best, and you can get them at a wrecking yard since many V6 4x4 5-speed trucks came with them from the factory. It will (or should be) be much cheaper than buying gears and having them set up.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
... and you can get them at a wrecking yard since many V6 4x4 5-speed trucks came with them from the factory. It will (or should be) be much cheaper than buying gears and having them set up.
Yes, they would be cheaper if you can find used 3rds.
It would cost $800+ to have a shop do it, if you pull the 3rds and carry them in.

Also, a lot trucks came equipped from the factory with 31" tires, and they came with 4.30 gears. They'd probably be easier to find at a junkyard.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drats! well i was hoping to spend less than 400, not cause im a cheap mexican but because my future with the truck is hazy and i dont really want to put more money into my truck. but again thanks for all the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts