Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Toyota Traitor
20’ Tacoma TRD Sport DC, 17’ MDX Elite SH-AWD, 13’ Accord Touring
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do have major remorse when it comes to spending money, usually after I buy something or order something and once I have the item in my hands it goes away. I miss my old Highlander, it was a great car, simple to operate and I loved it. I thought I would love a new Highlander, it was great and I thought it through hard, but I don't really like it.. It's too big, too complicated, hard to back-up and park. I think it's a sign that I'm getting older when I can't grasp new technology. I also took pride in keeping the black exterior of my old Highlander clean, but this one.. I don't really care..

I wish I shopped around, I rented a Ford Edge and I loved it also the Mercedes GLK is interesting.. maybe in a few years..

Hopefully I warm up to this Highlander..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I do have major remorse when it comes to spending money, usually after I buy something or order something and once I have the item in my hands it goes away. I miss my old Highlander, it was a great car, simple to operate and I loved it. I thought I would love a new Highlander, it was great and I thought it through hard, but I don't really like it.. It's too big, too complicated, hard to back-up and park. I think it's a sign that I'm getting older when I can't grasp new technology. I also took pride in keeping the black exterior of my old Highlander clean, but this one.. I don't really care..

I wish I shopped around, I rented a Ford Edge and I loved it also the Mercedes GLK is interesting.. maybe in a few years..

Hopefully I warm up to this Highlander..
My 1996 Honda Accord V6 hit 200K miles (321,868.8 km) in January 2009 and it was going to take some money to get it nice and stable again (like $1-2k). Winter was no joke and I had travel plans. So after looking at all the SUVs: I wanted one with decent mileage, fold flat seats, no tire on the back / also lift gate-type rear door, preferable V6, I found the Highlander (although it was more than I wanted to spend). Moreover, I have been working on hybrids for nearly 10 years yet never owned one so I said, hey...why not a Highlander Hybrid if the price is reasonable.

Well the dealership really went out of their way to give me darn near a Limited for a AWD Base cost (I got leather, wood trim, 19" tires, tow package, 3 row seat, etc). It is definitely an eye catcher, powerful, and Hybrid is fun.

But it is soooo hard for me to park this thing, hard to back up, I am scared to death everytime I have to drive it up or down my driveway between the houses. Even though it is EXACTLY the same length as my Accord (hard to believe!) it is 13 inches taller (more like 16 with my tires and 5 inches wider (say: half a tires width). Unlike my Accord, I cannot even see cars next to me without the outside mirrors, I can't see them behind me unless they are more than 10 feet away or the rear view camera is on, and the SmartKey drives me nuts. I can't open the trunk if the vehicle is on!!! I can't operate the locks from the FOB if the vehicle is on, etc. And what I have been reading about HiHy in deep snow (traction control can't be turned off) is so terrible. Rolling down a window is PAINFUL! The radio reception is so-so. My mileage is always about 23mpg, which is just a little less than my V6 Accord but $10K more.

And man, one month later the Honda Insight Hybrid comes out. I would have just loved that car (except it is a little small: cargo with seat down is 30cubic inches, up is 16 cubic. HiHy with seat down is 90+ cubic inches, up is 30cubic. And fully loaded: $23K out the door.

So, just to say: it ain't age. This is just a big vehicle with blind spots everywhere except straight ahead...and even then you can't see how close you are to the object in front cause you are taller than everything. My hood is taller than some roofs.

But my Black Highlander Highlander is a beautiful vehicle, especially when I put the painted black mudguards, black bug shield and dark tinted side windshields on. I like the electronic displays and once I get my compass mirror installed it is very classy.

But I would have been just as happy with a nice hybrid wagon not much taller than my Honda Accord, something with a lower window sill.

-Jason.

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Buy a 31 foot RV and tow a car behind it.

After a couple of years you get used to using your mirrors to drive and back up and when you get rid of the RV backing up a Highlander is like driving a Smart car.:D

Unless you need the extra room of a Highander size SUV you might add the Honda CRV and Subaru Forester to your list of check things out. My RAV4 I traded in on for my Highlander was ok but I was one of those that hated the spare tire on the back door.

They are smaller, easier to park and still give you some utility and are easier to get in and out of than a sedan

·
Registered
highlander
33 Posts
I really like my Highlander

I had a 04 MDX,and I had transmission problems with it at 50,000 miles.I like the way that Toyota already added transmission cooler.I also didn't get the gas mileage,that I am getting now. I think toyota has a very good resale value. I really like the split seat in back for easy getting in and out. The Seat in the back of Mdx, try to get out of the back seat real fast. My two cents!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unless you need the extra room of a Highander size SUV you might add the Honda CRV and Subaru Forester to your list of check things out.
The only reason I didn't get the CRV is I did not like how the rear seats folded. They fold up against the driver and passenger front seats instead of fold flat. The ultimate to me is the Honda Fit where the front seats also fold flat so you can load a long load all the way to the dash (or window if you're brave). But I just wasn't feelin that car (Honda Fit). Although I hate 4 cylinders, the CRV was the smoothest I had ever driven and I really like Honda (this is my first Toyota). And the CRV is $10k cheaper and the mileage is just as good as the HiHy.-Jason.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Being a old f*rt (according to my wife) and being in a job where I have to compete with all the young wipper snappers that come off the boat from India with the most current technology training with H1B visas to put Americans out of work I can very much relate. My motto is that "Old people should not buy high tech" as I am the GO TO guy for every elderly relative who's PC hiccups or cell phone wont work.

That being said, I can relate to the complexity of the HH with Nav. Obviously this was made by techno people for techno people. Toyota should have included a DVD with some of the information included here:

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Highlander.htm

The 15 minute salesman walk thru just don't cut it. Or maybe they should require you to attend a 4 hour class on it at the dealership before driving it home! I don't receive this much training from my job.

So I can very much relate and my wife kind of agrees with the above poster on another level too. Her take is that if I would have gotten a 'regular' Highlander without all the gadgets I would have saved over $5K. However she enjoys (but won't admit to) wowing all her girl friends and family with the dizzying array of gadgetry.

As a person that has owned large trucks for decades, everything from Suburbans to big 4x4 Blazers, maybe a truck is not right for you. If you can't drive it, park it and maneuver it comfortably, then stick with a sub-compact. Or maybe a soccer mom mini-van would be better?

Sorry to be so blunt. If you are not happy with it I would recommend you consider selling it and get something else. Life is too short to be unhappy with a truck for 5 or 10 years. I have been there and done that and I won't do that again.

·
Toyota Traitor
20’ Tacoma TRD Sport DC, 17’ MDX Elite SH-AWD, 13’ Accord Touring
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a old f*rt (according to my wife) and being in a job where I have to compete with all the young wipper snappers that come off the boat from India with the most current technology training with H1B visas to put Americans out of work I can very much relate. My motto is that "Old people should not buy high tech" as I am the GO TO guy for every elderly relative who's PC hiccups or cell phone wont work.

That being said, I can relate to the complexity of the HH with Nav. Obviously this was made by techno people for techno people. Toyota should have included a DVD with some of the information included here:

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/iGuide_Highlander.htm

The 15 minute salesman walk thru just don't cut it. Or maybe they should require you to attend a 4 hour class on it at the dealership before driving it home! I don't receive this much training from my job.

So I can very much relate and my wife kind of agrees with the above poster on another level too. Her take is that if I would have gotten a 'regular' Highlander without all the gadgets I would have saved over $5K. However she enjoys (but won't admit to) wowing all her girl friends and family with the dizzying array of gadgetry.

As a person that has owned large trucks for decades, everything from Suburbans to big 4x4 Blazers, maybe a truck is not right for you. If you can't drive it, park it and maneuver it comfortably, then stick with a sub-compact. Or maybe a soccer mom mini-van would be better?

Sorry to be so blunt. If you are not happy with it I would recommend you consider selling it and get something else. Life is too short to be unhappy with a truck for 5 or 10 years. I have been there and done that and I won't do that again.
I would end up losing too much money.. I have my Accord too so I'm not totally stuck with it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts