Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE, 2013 ZL1 (mods galore), 2019 Suburban
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all been there. You make a mod and wish you didnt. Either something you add later overrides it, the mod doesn‘t work out the way you planned, or you end up not liking it.

What were the mods you regret?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I regret paying for a SpeedBooster throttle signal booster thingy. Installing a wood block between my foot ant the pedal would have the same result.

Not mods, but....
I regret not taking the V6 or the Hybrid.
I regret the degrading quality of Toyota interiors these days...
I regret not taking an EV.

There you go ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I regret not buying a hybrid Camry XLE sooner. I was driving a 2008 Escalade since new and wow I would have saved so much in gas and repairs. I went from 8 mpg to 42 mpg with driving 500-600 miles per week. I do wish I had the JBL & built-in navigation but CarPlay will do for now. I may get the Alpine 4 channel amp with subwoofer kit for $700 this year GOD willing. I paid $22k for a 2018 Hybrid XLE with heads-up display and 25k miles last summer. The deal was so good that it wasn't worth it for me to pay more just for a JBL, sunroof & CarPlay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I regret not buying a hybrid Camry XLE sooner. I was driving a 2008 Escalade since new and wow I would have saved so much in gas and repairs. I went from 8 mpg to 42 mpg with driving 500-600 miles per week. I do wish I had the JBL & built-in navigation but CarPlay will do for now. I may get the Alpine 4 channel amp with subwoofer kit for $700 this year, GOD Willing. I paid $22k for a 2018 Hybrid XLE with heads-up display and 25k miles last summer. The deal was so good that it wasn't worth it for me to pay more just for that.

View attachment 323305
That was an AWESOME deal!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I regret not buying a hybrid Camry XLE sooner. I was driving a 2008 Escalade since new and wow I would have saved so much in gas and repairs. I went from 8 mpg to 42 mpg with driving 500-600 miles per week. I do wish I had the JBL & built-in navigation but CarPlay will do for now. I may get the Alpine 4 channel amp with subwoofer kit for $700 this year, GOD Willing. I paid $22k for a 2018 Hybrid XLE with heads-up display and 25k miles last summer. The deal was so good that it wasn't worth it for me to pay more just for that.

View attachment 323305
Pretty car. My regret is that I should of bought a silver one. Not a big deal and I still like my blue but silver is nicer.

·
Registered
2020 SE
155 Posts
I wish I kind of waited for my TMC discounts to start because my loan would been least $5000 less than what it is now. But I would been stuck waiting for least 2-4 years for employment status to qualify for it. My 2012 with 308k miles would be pushing it. Who knows by then I would probably go with a Lexus.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pretty car. My regret is that I should of bought a silver one. Not a big deal and I still like my blue but silver is nicer.
Blue is nice as well but Silver is the color for this Camry. I want to mention also that tints and the rear spoiler makes the Camry look way hotter. Looks like the previous owner knew what to order and ordered it with the rear spoiler when new. It's on the build sheet! I went with 15% tints which looks great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue is nice as well but Silver is the color for this Camry. I want to mention also that tints and the rear spoiler makes the Camry look way hotter. Looks like the previous owner knew what to order and ordered it with the rear spoiler when new. It's on the build sheet! I went with 15% tints which looks great.
From the start , I was stuck on the white if it was an SE, or the pearl if it was an XSE. Then I found a silver as a CPO with the package I wanted. I decided the silver looked great. No regrets . Take nothing away from the white, or pearl. They are still beautiful.

The tint is next, after the Magnaflow 19494. That was ordered last night.

·
Registered
124 Posts
From the start , I was stuck on the white if it was an SE, or the pearl if it was an XSE. Then I found a silver as a CPO with the package I wanted. I decided the silver looked great. No regrets . Take nothing away from the white, or pearl. They are still beautiful.

View attachment 323381

View attachment 323382

The tint is next, after the Magnaflow 19494. That was ordered last night.
u

Keep us in the loop when you do the Magnaflow. I also want to do that as well. Your Camry sweet.

I want to do this next.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep us in the loop when you do the Magnaflow. I also want to do that as well. Your Camry sweet.

I want to do this next.
Thanks.

The Magnaflow system is ordered. I am starting to think the deal wasn’t real. The price was toooooo low and I haven’t received an order confirmation yet. They also raised the price on their website right after I ordered it. If it turns out to be real, and the price reverts, I will post it for everyone’s benefit.

I did however score a set of what appears to be OE mud guards for the insane price of $17.99 from EBay . They fit well and are a nice addition. Especially with all the salt and sand on the roads due to the snowy conditions here.

That Alpine system looks great. Please don’t tempt me unless you know a good divorce attorney in NY. lol. In the last 18 months I bought a Suburban, a ZL1, an ATV and the Camry. I probably have a better chance of bringing another woman home than anything with four wheels.

The list of mods for the Camry has just begun. The cold air box , remote start, heated seats and mud guards are done. Tint , rear diffuser and exhaust are next.

Just remember, when your significant other asks about ANY mod, the standard reply should always be........... “Honey, it was like that when I bought it”.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here is my first major regret. A lesson for us all. It’s not a product regret, however, I want to share it with the forum so everyone can avoid the same trap.

I ordered the Magnaflow 19494 system from rvautoparts.com at the link below.

19494 Magnaflow Cat Back

Do not buy from these people. They switched the price several times, from $720-1400+
I ordered it when it showed $739.86 and in stock. Days later they cancelled the order claiming it was no longer available and closeout material . I contacted Magnaflow and they confirmed it was not closed out and was available for immediate shipment. Rvautoparts declined to fill the order, raised the price and showed it as available for order. They have since showed it as backordered, although they claim it is not available and they will no longer carry it.

I ordered it today from another supplier and will post back if all works out with them.

If this forum had a hall of shame, I would nominate rvautoparts for a wing within the hall for their deceptive business practices.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks.

The Magnaflow system is ordered. I am starting to think the deal wasn’t real. The price was toooooo low and I haven’t received an order confirmation yet. They also raised the price on their website right after I ordered it. If it turns out to be real, and the price reverts, I will post it for everyone’s benefit.

I did however score a set of what appears to be OE mud guards for the insane price of $17.99 from EBay . They fit well and are a nice addition. Especially with all the salt and sand on the roads due to the snowy conditions here.

That Alpine system looks great. Please don’t tempt me unless you know a good divorce attorney in NY. lol. In the last 18 months I bought a Suburban, a ZL1, an ATV and the Camry. I probably have a better chance of bringing another woman home than anything with four wheels.

The list of mods for the Camry has just begun. The cold air box , remote start, heated seats and mud guards are done. Tint , rear diffuser and exhaust are next.

Just remember, when your significant other asks about ANY mod, the standard reply should always be........... “Honey, it was like that when I bought it”.
My wife probably will be ok with the Alpine mod. since the woofer goes under the passenger seat. I just need to play Eminem for her and she will be fine. She loved the sound system I had in my 1993 Acura Legend back in the 90s with 2 x 10" MTX 7000's, Xtant Amp 1001, double din Pioneer head-unit and a 12 disc changer with Napster burnt CD-Rs in the trunk. My wife actually wanted to divorce me because stupid me sold the system for $600 when I changed my car for a new Mercedes E-Class. My wife actually wanted the system for her future vehicle. I still hear about selling the system 20 years later. I also trusted a ex-friend to pay me for the system and screwed me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My wife probably will be ok with the Alpine mod. since the woofer goes under the passenger seat. I just need to play Eminem for her and she will be fine. She loved the sound system I had in my 1993 Acura Legend back in the 90s with 2 x 10" MTX 7000's, Xtant Amp 1001, double din Pioneer head-unit and a 12 disc changer with Napster burnt CD-Rs in the trunk. My wife actually wanted to divorce me because stupid me sold the system for $600 when I changed my car for a new Mercedes E-Class. My wife actually wanted the system for her future vehicle. I still hear about selling the system 20 years later. I also trusted a ex-friend to pay me for the system and screwed me.
That was probably an awesome system back in the day!

Yes, I still hear about those mistakes made decades ago. That’s one of those perks of being married for decades.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 1 of 178
75 Posts
The ebay front lip on my SE. side profile is ok and standing at the front of the car looking down gives it a nice look. but the 18-20 models were intentionally designed with bumpers that turn up slightly as to help with clearance issues. i have every intention of getting myself a double-lip piece from s-factor fabricators this spring. they design their lips to accomodate for that design flaw so the piece stays straight and flat across the front.

do yourself a favor, stay away from those $50 chinese ebay lips

·
Registered
63 Posts
I regret not buying a hybrid Camry XLE sooner. I was driving a 2008 Escalade since new and wow I would have saved so much in gas and repairs. I went from 8 mpg to 42 mpg with driving 500-600 miles per week. I do wish I had the JBL & built-in navigation but CarPlay will do for now. I may get the Alpine 4 channel amp with subwoofer kit for $700 this year GOD willing. I paid $22k for a 2018 Hybrid XLE with heads-up display and 25k miles last summer. The deal was so good that it wasn't worth it for me to pay more just for a JBL, sunroof & CarPlay.

View attachment 323305
Sweet deal! How could you pass it up!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
u

I want to do this next.
Well, the Magnaflow 19494 is done and has been for almost two months. Put it on my regret list. Huge mistake. Monumental. From day one I have had nothing but problems with fitment of this system. The passenger side and drivers side exhaust tips do not extend the same distance on both sides. They look like two different exhaust systems. It looks ridiculous, I have contacted Magnaflow MULTIPLE times. By phone, by email and on their website. I have received excuse, after excuse, after excuse. Send in pictures so we can look at them.....We don’t have a system in stock to evaluate..... We are building a system and test fitting it........We will get back to you....... I even contacted the retailer (Hottexhaust.com) where I purchased the system. They got the same story. Nearly two months have passed and I am nowhere.

In short, I wouldn’t by an exhaust clamp from Magnaflow. I am starting to hear a lot of bad stories from others also about their products.

·
Registered
2020 Camry TRD
137 Posts
my regret is not waiting to buy the XSE V6 2-tone wind chill pearl/midnight black metallic w/ the red interior in early 2018 versus late 2017 since the dealers were marking them up by $4,500. But I traded the car in for my current 2020 TRD. regret at first but not now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts