Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want a button somewhere on my truck that will unlock the doors when the truck is locked.

I took the door panel off and tapped into the gray wire from the plug that controls the power doors/power windows.

When the door is open and that wire is grounded, the doors unlock. When the truck is locked (while the door is open) then closed, grounding that wire doesn't unlock the doors.

What gives?

·
Can hold his own
2009 Tacoma AC
135 Posts
I would just install a proximity system using an RFID tag that you keep in your wallet. When you get within x feet of the truck the drivers side or all doors unlock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A switch that grounded that little wire seemed like such a neat simple mod...

I lock my keys in my car often.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like an easy idea, but if you lock your door, then get inside and close the door, you'll find that the door unlock switch won't work, either. It will work if you turn on the key. I think it's a security device to prevent thieves from pushing the unlock button with a coat hanger. Obviously the Body ECU which controls the doors also keeps track of how the door was locked, whether the door was open, and the state of the ignition key.

Some ideas to think about:

There is a R/W "Detection SW" wire coming from the door lock assembly, you could try clipping or grounding that. If you do it permanently there may be other consequences you don't like, though, you may have to do it through a double-pole momentary switch with your gray wire.

There is also a G/B "Unlock Warning SW" by the ignition that might work to play with.

As always, if you solve this, post it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
according to the FSM :
Door control switch* unlock prohibition function - Performing door lock operation with transmitter or key prohibits the unlock operation by door lock control switch.

I lock my keys in my car often.
Also:
Key Lock-in Prevention Function does not Work Properly
To prevent the key from being locked in the vehicle, the multiplex network body ECU prevents the doors from being locked by monitoring 2 switches: 1) the unlock warning switch, which turns ON when the key is inserted into the ignition key cylinder; and 2) the driver side courtesy light switch, which turns ON when the driver side door is opened.

Did you mod something that broke this? you've usually got to try hard to lock your keys in nowadays

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Now, if you were to look for a violet wire, which comes off the key unlock on the drivers side, that might do it.

Or pink on the pass side.

Tho I think you'd be better off just learning to not lock your keys in the car.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
RTFM, that's a better idea than mine. But caution, the driver's side V wire says it goes to the L2 ECU feed along with the V passenger side wire, even though the driver's side V wire clearly is labeled key unlock, the passenger side is labeled key lock. So the G/B key lock wire on the driver's side might be the actual unlock wire, as it goes to the UL3 feed on the ECU.

That will make more sense if you are looking at the wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
But caution, the driver's side V wire says it goes to the L2 ECU feed along with the V passenger side wire, even though the driver's side V wire clearly is labeled key unlock, the passenger side is labeled key lock. So the G/B key lock wire on the driver's side might be the actual unlock wire, as it goes to the UL3 feed on the ECU.

Nice shooting boss.

TurDonor is correct. I only looked at the label on the switch of the diagram, not the point on the ECU that it goes to. Using the Green / B wire off the drivers side, not the V is probably the correct choice. On the passenger side, Pink is still correct. The V wire on both switches go to the same point, so I would guess they do the same thing.:headbang:

Glad someone here is checking my work, Been a long week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RTFM, that's a better idea than mine. But caution, the driver's side V wire says it goes to the L2 ECU feed along with the V passenger side wire, even though the driver's side V wire clearly is labeled key unlock, the passenger side is labeled key lock. So the G/B key lock wire on the driver's side might be the actual unlock wire, as it goes to the UL3 feed on the ECU.

Good catch! That's definitely a typo in the wiring diagram. The diagram SHOULD show the V wire connecting the "key lock" switches from both the driver's and passenger's side. That means the G-B wire is for driver's "key unlock" and pink is for passenger's "key unlock".

Using the G-B or pink wire will keep you from having to tap into multiple wires since the key lock/unlock overrides the warning/detection system.

Thanks to the OP for mentioning this mod...I think it would be useful to have a hidden switch instead of trying to hide a spare key somewhere! Adding to my "to do" list right now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts