Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the morning news, they were talking about mornings in the low 50's and the first thing that I thought about is summer coming to an end and having to warm the car up with frost on the windows and how much headache it is. I heard that on a gen 6 Camry there was a factory engine start option but it was horrible because the transmitter had a really short range making it useless.

Anyone know of any aftermarket remote engine starts for a Gen 6 /6.5 Camry that are really good and potentially easy to install?

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
I have had a remote start kit and push button start kit sitting in their boxes in my garage since last winter, thinking I would install them this summer. Almost out of runway to get it done before cold weather sets back in. I may opt to install the remote start at least before snow hits in a month or so. If I do I will post up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a remote start kit and push button start kit sitting in their boxes in my garage since last winter, thinking I would install them this summer. Almost out of runway to get it done before cold weather sets back in. I may opt to install the remote start at least before snow hits in a month or so. If I do I will post up.
Do you have a link to the brand you went with?

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
I'll dig it up tonight and post it. I have no idea yet if it is any good. I bought a kit that had both for about $100 or so. I am not expecting glorious perfection, and fully figure I may need to MacGuyver a few things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll dig it up tonight and post it. I have no idea yet if it is any good. I bought a kit that had both for about $100 or so. I am not expecting glorious perfection, and fully figure I may need to MacGuyver a few things.
Hi,

I just install this one:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I just install this one:

That looks great, I watched the video and it looks like everything is plug and play except for 1 or 2 wires that need to be spliced together?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winter is setting in here, temps in the 20's and I still haven't done this. I hate a cold car......I am not convinced I like the 12 volt solution product, have you installed it yet to see how it works?

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
I did nothing yet. Mornings are in the teens and no remote start. The bitch of it is, it will be too cold to monkey around with trying to install it now so I'll wind up missing the winter when I could really use it. I may tackle it in the Spring. I want to do the entire push button start kit with it but figure that will take me some time to get it all in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked a local shop that I trust that does remote starts, alarm systems, stereos, etc and they want the cost of the kit.... about $250 and about $250 for installation. I have done stereo's but I am worried about the engine start harnesses and jacking something up. He didn't give me the name of the kit, but it is one of those with a 1 mile range.... basically meaning if it is in my driveway it should work 110% of the time. I just don't think the labor should be that high.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I asked a local shop that I trust that does remote starts, alarm systems, stereos, etc and they want the cost of the kit.... about $250 and about $250 for installation. I have done stereo's but I am worried about the engine start harnesses and jacking something up. He didn't give me the name of the kit, but it is one of those with a 1 mile range.... basically meaning if it is in my driveway it should work 110% of the time. I just don't think the labor should be that high.
If you trust them then why question their labor quote? $250 is probably 3-4 hours of labor depending on their rate. Any time a "universal" part is installed there are variables so they need to cover that risk as well as the time it takes to properly and cleanly wire and mount the components. I've heard many stories of cheap remote start installs that cause a mess of problems down the road.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,542 Posts
No one works for free otherwise you could always do it yourself for free. All business's are here to make money. If you screw up, you screwed up. If they screw up, you can take it back to them.

It's no different any other service you want to do to your vehicle. Parts are cheap, labor is high. If they like you, they may discount you. If they know you like to haggle, they will increase the price. If they really don't want to work on your car, they will increase the price more. What would you do if you were in their shoes? Something different?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts