Toyota Nation Forum banner

Remote key locks all doors but not beep!?!?

2790 Views 11 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  J Booth
I’ve already tried putting the keys and turning it on for 10 secs that didn’t work. Also unplugged the battery for 10-15 mins to reset the alarm that didn’t work either. This happened before once but it started working again on it own. It’s been about a 3 weeks now since it’s stopped beeping when locking. Unlocking beeps* works as it should. Has this happen to anyone else? Need help figuring this out I’ve searched all over YouTube no videos of same issue.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
The wireless door lock buzzer is the unit that makes the chirping sound. It is located behind the left front fender liner. I suspect it has gone bad, especially if the fender liner is damaged and allowing road spray and debris in. It is not too difficult to replace - remove the tire, remove the fender line, disconnect the old unit and install the new one.

· Registered
2017 Camry LE 2.5L
204 Posts
I have doubts there is anything wrong with that buzzer unit if the beeps do happen on unlock but don't happen on lock. There are beep volume settings in the factory head unit (radio). These most likely could be easily be adjusted by the local Toyota dealer service department if you cannot find them or if maybe you have an aftermarket head unit in the car.

· Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE I4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wireless door lock buzzer is the unit that makes the chirping sound. It is located behind the left front fender liner. I suspect it has gone bad, especially if the fender liner is damaged and allowing road spray and debris in. It is not too difficult to replace - remove the tire, remove the fender line, disconnect the old unit and install the new one.
It chirps when unlocking. So don’t think that’s it. I appreciate the reply!

I have doubts there is anything wrong with that buzzer unit if the beeps do happen on unlock but don't happen on lock. There are beep volume settings in the factory head unit (radio). These most likely could be easily be adjusted by the local Toyota dealer service department if you cannot find them or if maybe you have an aftermarket head unit in the car.
I’m aware of the chirp enabling and disabling on the stock radio. I do have an aftermarket radio but it’s been fine since I change it 6 months ago. I never mess with that settings after that. It just stopped chirping after I did left my doors unlock for a while without disconnecting the battery when I was installing aftermarket speakers .I’ve done all resets known even the alarm. Changed the battery on the remote inc case that was that but no luck. Might just have to take it to Toyota and have them check it out. Hopefully they can tell me what’s wrong and I can fix it myself . I know they’ll offer me to fix it but we’ll see if I really have to. Thanks for the reply by the way.

· Registered
2017 Camry LE 2.5L
204 Posts
I’m aware of the chirp enabling and disabling on the stock radio. I do have an aftermarket radio but it’s been fine since I change it 6 months ago. I never mess with that settings after that. It just stopped chirping after I did left my doors unlock for a while without disconnecting the battery when I was installing aftermarket speakers .I’ve done all resets known even the alarm. Changed the battery on the remote inc case that was that but no luck. Might just have to take it to Toyota and have them check it out. Hopefully they can tell me what’s wrong and I can fix it myself . I know they’ll offer me to fix it but we’ll see if I really have to. Thanks for the reply by the way.
Do you by chance have one of those Android Chinese head units that include a Canbus interface? Does the head unit show door open/close and other vehicle information? I would suggest disconnecting the head unit and see if the lock/unlock chirps come back. I have one of those aftermarket head units and initially had a number of anomalies in my 2017 Camry. If you do have one of those Chinese units and are interested in looking into this, I can locate the setting that worked for my car.

· Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE I4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you by chance have one of those Android Chinese head units that include a Canbus interface? Does the head unit show door open/close and other vehicle information? I would suggest disconnecting the head unit and see if the lock/unlock chirps come back. I have one of those aftermarket head units and initially had a number of anomalies in my 2017 Camry. If you do have one of those Chinese units and are interested in looking into this, I can locate the setting that worked for my car.
I do have the chines brand from eBay. And it did came with the canbus. It had all the factors settings except the mode where you can reset your mpg and the chirp on n off and other modes I forgot the names. I’ve tried looking at other settings no luck. Yes please! If can add photos that’ll be great too! That way I can see if it’s the same exact one or that doesn’t matter? I’ve seen multiple chines brands and they have different interface and processors according to their specifications. And it does show doors open and close with an animated logo of a car with open doors . Funny cus those car logo only comes with the 7.5 gen and 8. It did say on the description that the head unit I got is compatible with the 7.5 gen just different bracket I guess or mount housing.

· Registered
2017 Camry LE 2.5L
204 Posts
Thank you for sharing pictures of the actual head unit that you have. I have this one which is quite different from the one you have:
Amazon.com: SYGAV Car Stereo for 2015 2016 2017 Toyota Camry Radio Wireless Carplay 10.2 Inch Touch Screen GPS Navigation Android Head Unit : Electronics

The factory/canbus settings on my aftermarket head unit would likely be much different from yours.

It would be curious if you were to put the factory unit back in and examine the vehicle settings to verify volume settings for the lock/unlock alerts. I wonder if your aftermarket unit would work without the canbus adapter box connected? Your aftermarket head unit may be tripping out one or more computer modules in your Camry.

If you have access to an OBD II code reader, I would suggest using it to scan for pending OBD codes (don't necessarily set the check engine light). Would not surprise if you have multiple completely unrelated codes being thrown as a result of using the cheap Android head unit.

If you were to put the factory head unit back in and the lock/unlock chirp start working again, you might want to consider exchanging your head unit for another if it's within whatever warranty/return period.

· Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE I4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for sharing pictures of the actual head unit that you have. I have this one which is quite different from the one you have:
Amazon.com: SYGAV Car Stereo for 2015 2016 2017 Toyota Camry Radio Wireless Carplay 10.2 Inch Touch Screen GPS Navigation Android Head Unit : Electronics

The factory/canbus settings on my aftermarket head unit would likely be much different from yours.

It would be curious if you were to put the factory unit back in and examine the vehicle settings to verify volume settings for the lock/unlock alerts. I wonder if your aftermarket unit would work without the canbus adapter box connected? Your aftermarket head unit may be tripping out one or more computer modules in your Camry.

If you have access to an OBD II code reader, I would suggest using it to scan for pending OBD codes (don't necessarily set the check engine light). Would not surprise if you have multiple completely unrelated codes being thrown as a result of using the cheap Android head unit.

If you were to put the factory head unit back in and the lock/unlock chirp start working again, you might want to consider exchanging your head unit for another if it's within whatever warranty/return period.
I was thinking of hooking up the stock radio back just to test the chip since I can access that from there.
I don't know much about canbus and I had my aftermarket unit over half a year now and it only did it once before (not chirping when locking) but it went back to normal after a few days i remember.
Also, I don't think it has anything to do with my AM unit (hope not). it just started again when I was changing my speakers and left the doors open without disconnecting the battery think I mentioned that already on one of the comments from others just saying in case you didn't get to read some of the thread. hopefully, it starts chirping again even with the am unit back, I wouldn't mind plugin back to the stock unit to fix the chirp if it only happens once or twice a year. I think I have messed with some of the settings but not sure if it was related to the chirp or alarm. ill keep you posted thanks again for sharing info.

· Registered
2017 Camry LE 2.5L
204 Posts
Good luck to you. The reason I would tend to think it has to do with the aftermarket head unit is first off it's aftermarket equipment in a car that was designed to work best with the equipment it came with from the factory. Plus the Chinese outfits that make these head units at best reverse engineer the actual communication in the vehicle. It's not like they have access to actual Toyota engineering data. It's easy for these head units to
randomly and/or intermittently modify the wrong data and create all kinds of havoc in the vehicle.

· Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE I4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck to you. The reason I would tend to think it has to do with the aftermarket head unit is first off it's aftermarket equipment in a car that was designed to work best with the equipment it came with from the factory. Plus the Chinese outfits that make these head units at best reverse engineer the actual communication in the vehicle. It's not like they have access to actual Toyota engineering data. It's easy for these head units to
randomly and/or intermittently modify the wrong data and create all kinds of havoc in the vehicle.
It did not work swapping the stock radio after messing with settings. I don’t think it has anything to do with the am unit. I think I broke my alarm the alarm cus it’s not blinking when lock . But the panic mode works and horns fine. Ima take a look at where that alarm light is connected I might’ve damaged it by hitting it sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.