Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
the wheel guy
2019 Avalon Touring ; 2019 Platinum Highlander
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remote start keyfob WORKS after remote connect subscription was canceled. You read it right. App no longer works and allows me to start/unlock/lock, etc.... But I can remote start the car using the lock lock, long lock button press.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
257 Posts
Remote start keyfob WORKS after remote connect subscription was canceled. You read it right. App no longer works and allows me to start/unlock/lock, etc.... But I can remote start the car using the lock lock, long lock button press.
Spectacular news for those who keep your car outside in the driveway and want to warm it up while you have your morning cup of coffee.

For me, my car is garaged, but I love the remote feature for when I leave work on a cold/hot day. My car is parked way outside of the key fob range... so I am enjoying the remote start. I already paid for my subscription to keep this going.

/Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Spectacular news for those who keep your car outside in the driveway and want to warm it up while you have your morning cup of coffee.

For me, my car is garaged, but I love the remote feature for when I leave work on a cold/hot day. My car is parked way outside of the key fob range... so I am enjoying the remote start. I already paid for my subscription to keep this going.

/Jim
Yes, I suspected the key would still work. I'll subscribe because of the range and vehicle locator. To be honest, the app is pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine no longer works after my subscription ran out. I remember checking it right after the sub expired and I just checked it again. It worked fine while the subscription was active.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
169 Posts
I bought the 2020 camry yesterday and I can confirm that you do not need the app to remote start your car. you can do it with the key fob that comes with the car. the app is only used to remote start your car from far (ie: you can probably do it from the other side of the world) and for a bunch of other things such as finding your car in a parking lot, checking if you left any doors unlocked, etc. Using the key fob only allows you to start the car from up close. they did it at the dealership by pressing the lock button twice, then holding it down for about 3-5 seconds. but when I got home, I tried it and it didn't work. What's the trick?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the 2020 camry yesterday and I can confirm that you do not need the app to remote start your car. you can do it with the key fob that comes with the car. the app is only used to remote start your car from far (ie: you can probably do it from the other side of the world) and for a bunch of other things such as finding your car in a parking lot, checking if you left any doors unlocked, etc. Using the key fob only allows you to start the car from up close. they did it at the dealership by pressing the lock button twice, then holding it down for about 3-5 seconds. but when I got home, I tried it and it didn't work. What's the trick?
Hey, has it been fixed or are you still having issues? If it was fixed, how?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
169 Posts
yes it works. I don't know what I was doing wrong. maybe not pressing long enough on the 3rd press. but it works. no app required. now the question is, once the free trial expires for the app, will the key fob work? it should because they tested the key fob at the dealership before I even bought the car.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,937 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
169 Posts
so I guess after the subscription expires, the key fob will send a signal to the car to start, the car will know that the subscription expired and will say "no, i'm not starting this car". i'm only going to subscribe in the winter.

·
Avalon Owner
252 Posts
so I guess after the subscription expires, the key fob will send a signal to the car to start, the car will know that the subscription expired and will say "no, i'm not starting this car". i'm only going to subscribe in the winter.
My 2019 Limited starts from the key fob if I'm close enough to the car. My subscription expired last February.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
1,012 Posts
but you are still within the 3 year period so maybe that's why its working. lets see if it still works in 2 years.
Nope, NVABob has a Limited which comes with the Premium Audio, so he's good out to ten years. ?

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
1,012 Posts
That is how it is designed to work. Not exactly consumer friendly, but apparently Toyota's idea of security.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
257 Posts
Irrespective if it shuts off, it is still warmed up. That is the important thing.

·
Registered
2018 Avalon XLE Premium V6
845 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what does Toyota charge for the subscription?

I use a phone app/module that I installed and it's ~$40 for 1 year or $100 for 3 years. I'm wondering if it would have been more economical going with OEM.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts