Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Here's the skinny:

Most remote start manufactures specifically reccomend not using remote starters on Manual Transmission equiped cars. Reason? If you leave your car in gear when it is parked, you run the risk of accidentally "starting" your car in gear, causing a dangerous situation.

Solution: Create a neutral switch that will only allow the "remote start" while your vehicle is in neutral. Most remote start systems have a "hood" sensor that keeps the "remote starter" from operating when the hood is open. This protects you from accidently starting the car while working on the engine. This normally open circuit disables the remote start when it becomes closed. If you were to run a second switch (or set of switches)from this circuit that is only open when the car is in neutral, you would be able to safely set up a "remote start" in any car with a Manual transmission.

I figure I could set up a swich under the center of the stick shift that would be closed unless the stick were centered (neutral).

Comments?

Other swich locations suggestions?

Already did something similar and have install pics?

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
I don't know if you know this, but there ARE companies that do remote starts for manual trannys. Compustar is one. They require you to go through a series of steps before shutting down your car to activate the manual tranny remote start function.

As for the switch you are talking about...i guess it could work...but the switches would probably get in your way while shifting...

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The whole point of this thread is SO you don't have to worry about weather or not you left your car in gear... I didn't say there weren't any companies that made remote starters for MT cars.

The switch I refer to wouldn't be in the way of anything, as it is not intened to even be in sight. Think of it this way: If you do not leave your car in neutral the remote start system is deactivated. Just as if you opened your hood. Are your door switches, that sense when a door is open, in the way? Likewise a neutral switch, properly set up, would be as user friendly as your door switches.

I should also add that part of the active/deactive state will also include the E-Brake being engaged.

All the switches used for this setup would be wired in parallel. So if even one closes the circuit the remote starter would be deactivated. Therefore if the hood is open that would deactivate the system (as intended by the manufacturer), or if the car is in gear that switch would close the circuit, or if the e-brake is not set. So any combination of these three items not in the correct state would render the remote starter disabled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts