Toyota Nation Forum banner

Remote start with Key Fob after one year without Connected Services Subscription

1157 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jsfoster75
I know I can remotely start my Venza both with Mobile app as well as Remote Fob. But remember Toyota stating somehow the Fob remote start also linked to Connected services, and without that we can't start even with Fob.

With people complaining, Toyota said they will do something related to that and allow remote start with Fob.

Not sure where it stands now. Can someone with Expired Connection Service ( 1 yr included) confirm if they can do remote start with Fob?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2021 Toyota Venza XLE
176 Posts
I couldn’t. There is an old post that showed 2020 vehicles on a Toyota pdf and I have a 2021. In general. I know there is no 2020 venzas. No deals after I didn’t use for more than a month. I didn’t call them but I suspect no deals. I use the app more than anything and will cancel it as soon as it get cooler. Figure if use it for 10 months I break even. I already didn’t subscribe September and October.

· Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
908 Posts
Navs in both so I declined their connected services offers when first purchased. Dealer insisted I call using the SOS button (for Toyota monitoring of their new car QA). So i did and said I did not want even the 1 yr. free offer and to give them info other than the VIN and to leave my vehicles absent their service....everything works fine and I did not want them to remotely screw with vehicle modules or software.......never downloaded the Toyota cellphone app. using Connected Services either.

And...My '21 Venza at 1+ yr. after purchase and '20 Highlander after 2 years both continue to remote start using the 3x push of the lock button on the keyfobs.

· Registered
468 Posts
I know I can remotely start my Venza both with Mobile app as well as Remote Fob. But remember Toyota stating somehow the Fob remote start also linked to Connected services, and without that we can't start even with Fob.

With people complaining, Toyota said they will do something related to that and allow remote start with Fob.

Not sure where it stands now. Can someone with Expired Connection Service ( 1 yr included) confirm if they can do remote start with Fob?
Yes, you need to "accept" Connected Services during the free trial if you want your fob to Remote Start after the 1 year trial ends. If you "decline" Connected Services, then the fob will stop working.
  • If you have Premium Audio, then remote start with your fob will work for up to 10 years without subscription.
  • If you have Audio Plus, then remote start with your fob will work for up to 3 years without subscription.
Product Font Motor vehicle Gadget Screenshot

· Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you need to "accept" Connected Services during the free trial if you want your fob to Remote Start after the 1 year trial ends. If you "decline" Connected Services, then the fob will stop working.
  • If you have Premium Audio, then remote start with your fob will work for up to 10 years without subscription.
  • If you have Audio Plus, then remote start with your fob will work for up to 3 years without subscription.
It says applicable to vehicles until 2020. Is it same for 2021 also? Does it mean all cars without upgraded Audio will only have 3 years of this Remote Start with Fob capability, not 10 years? I remember reading somewhere it will cover for 10 years, but can't seem to find where.

· Registered
908 Posts
What about 2023? Do we even know if the fob works at all?
Try one out at the dealer lot when they get in stock.

That's how I found out it works without registering for a subscription or Toyota software. Tested on new cars in the dealer's lot that had not be sold or registered....and the keyfob stater worked.

· Registered
908 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts