Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Along for the ride......
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remote Starter Question

My dealer said I couldn't put a remote starter in a Camry Hybrid. I don't know if this is right. He said it would damage the engine. Has anyone got remote start? Has anyone heard different? :dunno:

Love the car so far....

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are some TCH's that came with remote start from the factory (or at least port-installed).

Whether it is a good idea is another issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barncats said:
My dealer said I couldn't put a remote starter in a Camry Hybrid.
My TCH came with remote start factory installed. Although I'll never use it in Santa Cruz, it works fine.

Will Mayall

·
Registered
8 Posts
Barncats said:
My dealer said I couldn't put a remote starter in a Camry Hybrid. I don't know if this is right. He said it would damage the engine. Has anyone got remote start? Has anyone heard different? :dunno:

Love the car so far....

Thanks
My Barcelona Red TCH came with the Factory Remote, tho I didn't order one... Works Great!!

Sticker Cost was $595, but when I balked at the total, my dealer lowered the bottom line by $300, so the cost of the remote was only $295....

I live near Buffalo, New York so the Remote Start will come in handy for 5 months of the year!!:whatwhat:

So far we've had the TCH for 5 days & 300 miles & the first tank average is 39 MPG:clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to use the remote starter???

I have been able to start the car with the remote starter, but when I open the door the engine shuts off. Can someone tell me how to turn my TCH on get in it, and drive away please?

J6Pck in RI:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The remote start is designed to work that way....A safety feature, ie: you start the car from in the house,someone breaks the window, opens the door and drives away.............etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Issues With Remote Start & Auto Door Lock

Hi folks,

New Camry owners. Haveing some trouble that the books weren't able to answer.

1. The factory remote start option starts the car fine. However when we approach the car, everyything shuts off. It's not just the motor shutting off, but everything. Dashboard lights, radio, air conditioner (the reason we bought it in the first place). Are we doing something wrong?

2. We can't figure out to get the doors to automatically lock. This is the first vehicle with door remotes that I've ever had that didn't automatically lock the doors about 30-60 seconds after exiting the vehicle. Is there a way to set them so they automatically lock?

Thanks,
Michael
'08 Camry Hybrid

·
Registered Gator
99 Posts
Hi folks,

New Camry owners. Haveing some trouble that the books weren't able to answer.

1. The factory remote start option starts the car fine. However when we approach the car, everyything shuts off. It's not just the motor shutting off, but everything. Dashboard lights, radio, air conditioner (the reason we bought it in the first place). Are we doing something wrong?

2. We can't figure out to get the doors to automatically lock. This is the first vehicle with door remotes that I've ever had that didn't automatically lock the doors about 30-60 seconds after exiting the vehicle. Is there a way to set them so they automatically lock?

Thanks,
Michael
'08 Camry Hybrid
Another First Post being a Problem - Ouch ...;)

Welcome and Congrats on your TCH.:thumbsup:

By Factory remote start are you asking about the Toyota VIP system with a possible RS3200+ feature ? Was it installed by your Dealership ? Sounds to me like an Immobilizer Problem. I'm pretty sure that an Immobilizer Bypass needed to be installed with the TVIP remote start accessory... That's what I'd ask the installer to check...

Regarding your second question - not sure if you are asking if the TVIP accessory has this feature or if the standard keyless entry key fob allows this. There might be a dealer optional setting for this (there is a sticky over at GH as I remember).

My TCH is locked by my brain telling me to press the black rubber square on the door handle/trunk lid or by reaching in my pocket and pressing the lock on the key FOB... :D I'm a newbie regarding the thought of parked Auto door locking (locking while driving - yes) , but Auto-lock after I leave the area of the vehicle - now thats a new feature to me . :)

·
Registered Gator
99 Posts
I was reviewing the available PDF file wrt the customize parameters and sure enough there is a section on IN-42 called wireless D lock. It indicates that the Auto Lock Delay (under item #3 Power Door Lock Control System) has a default of 60s with two selectable values : 30secs or 60secs. In section 4 there is also a auto lock delay setting of 60s for regulating the interval between unlocking and automatic relocking of doors.

FWIW : It appears the TCH has the Parked auto door lock feature activated at 60secs by default unless this is describing the time between the ability to relock the doors... I'll test it tonight...:)

Maybe someone with access to the complete Service Manual will enlighten us...

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
460 Posts
The auto door lock is a standard feature on the Buick Lucerne. I just traded mine off for the TCH and I miss this feature greatly. I am afraid I will forget to press the little black button.

·
Registered Gator
99 Posts
No Parked Auto Door Locks on my test. Waited 5 mins and without the key fob in my pocket I could open the door. There are other posts on here and GH and no one has provided an answer to - How do you set the Parked Auto door Lock feature...So maybe it doesn't exist...:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It does, but it shouldn't

Yes, the Toyota remote start does work that way. When you unlock the doors, open them, insert the key, or press the brake pedal, it shuts down the engine. But, ALL other remote start systems on the planet allow you to open the door, insert the key, turn it on, and drive away! And there is no way someone else is driving off with your car because the system will still shut down if the brake pedal is pressed before the key is turned on. Also, the system does not unlock the steering. So unless they have your keys, nobody is driving off with your car.

I am working on trying to get this one to work properly and have started a thread on ScionLife to invite collaboration on getting this to work properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the remote start and from I've deduced from reading, experimenting, and asking around it shuts off for the following reason:
TCH (and other Toyotas that use the push button start) do not require the key to be present (once the car is on) in order for the vehicle to be driven. Therefore if anyone walked up to the running car they could feasible drive off leaving you SOL and crying to the insurance company. That's why opening the door acts as a kill switch when remotely started.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huh?!?

I have the remote start and from I've deduced from reading, experimenting, and asking around it shuts off for the following reason:
TCH (and other Toyotas that use the push button start) do not require the key to be present (once the car is on) in order for the vehicle to be driven. Therefore if anyone walked up to the running car they could feasible drive off leaving you SOL and crying to the insurance company. That's why opening the door acts as a kill switch when remotely started.
:thumbsup:
Uh.... what?!? Read my post above again!

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
460 Posts
Remote Start

Can remote start be ADDED to the 2009 TCH? I searched the site with no results...
Thanks...

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,171 Posts
Yes it can. You can either get it as a Toyota accessory or you can have a shop add it on with an after market system. It is more complicated due to the Smart Key system, but it can be done.

I would get the Toyota system simply because it is controlled by the Smart Key and does not require an additional remote.

Others like after market because some have additional features, have a longer range, and have a lower price.

If you do go after market- make sure your shop has a good reputation, is insured, and offers a good warranty. The TCH is a complex vehicle, and you don't want them to screw up the electronics.

Good luck.

P.S.- try searching using different words or combinations. I searched a few times and got about 17 results in the Camry Hybrid forum alone. Also try looking at www.greenhybrid.com too- lots of good information on that website.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes it can. You can either get it as a Toyota accessory or you can have a shop add it on with an after market system. It is more complicated due to the Smart Key system, but it can be done.

I would get the Toyota system simply because it is controlled by the Smart Key and does not require an additional remote.

Others like after market because some have additional features, have a longer range, and have a lower price.

If you do go after market- make sure your shop has a good reputation, is insured, and offers a good warranty. The TCH is a complex vehicle, and you don't want them to screw up the electronics.

Good luck.

P.S.- try searching using different words or combinations. I searched a few times and got about 17 results in the Camry Hybrid forum alone. Also try looking at www.greenhybrid.com too- lots of good information on that website.
Does anyone know if the "remote start" feature shuts the engine off when you get in the car?

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,171 Posts
The factory system either shuts it off when you open the door or when you press the brake pedal (Or both). It will not allow you to remote start the engine, and then get in and drive.

As for the after market system- it depends on the system. Most will not allow you to remote start the vehicle and then get in and drive without restarting the engine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Camry Hybrid remote start

I was just told by my dealer service that because of the Smart Key,I would have to get the Toyota part remote start for $750 and can't get an aftermarket unit.That doesn't sound right.
Is that true?
I'm willing to carry that small extra button fob for the aftermarket unit.

Nevermind...
Just called another dealer who will install a Toyota part remote start for $550.
I'm going with it.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts