Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called around, you can get a aftermarket system, From what the installer told me is that the car will shut off when the door is opened. I'm planning on getting one after the holidays, they told me 299 installed

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I called around, you can get a aftermarket system, From what the installer told me is that the car will shut off when the door is opened. I'm planning on getting one after the holidays, they told me 299 installed
Both Toyota dealers service said you have to splice wires with an aftemarket unit and they won't do it with a Smart Key system.Maybe it's just the hybrid because there's no starter.
The Toyota remote start for Smart Key systems is a plug in module of some sort.
I want Toyota service to do the install so the car stays under warranty if something happens.Worth the extra cost for piece of mind with a bonus of not having a second remote which isn't a big deal to me though but nice.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I think this is the one that works with the Smart Key System. But I think I may have Toyota do mine also to keep it under warranty as well.

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt398-33070.html
toyotapartspeople.com has the Remote Start Kit for the Hybrid for $333.50.So dealer cost is probably around $250.
$550 dealer cost installed is a great price.The unit will be installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Remote start installed.
Toyota part# PT398-03100 $399
90189-06177 Grommet-Screw $1.04

Labor $99 per hour
1.5 Hours at $149.96
$550 total cost.

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
4 Posts
Remote Start Question

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid that I bought just last spring. I would like to add the remote start to it. It does not have the Nav system or the security system, just the smart key (push button to start - no keyhole).

I requested one part number from a dealer (don't have it handy) but they said it updated to PT398-33070. Later, he said that part was no longer available, and that it is now PT398-03100. I now have that part, but it clearly says it is for a 2010, as does everything I find online.

Does anyone know if this part actually will fit my TCH?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I just had the PT398-03100 installed by a Toyota dealer in my '11 for $550.
Should work on an '07.Smart Key systems should be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 08 Camry Hybrid with a NAV system and JBL stero. I want to buy a remote start as well, but I went by the Toyota dealership here in my town and they told me that the OEM remote starter VIP was discontinued. Does anyone have a reason why and what would be my alternatives if I went non factory? thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
4 Posts
I just bought a 08 Camry Hybrid with a NAV system and JBL stero. I want to buy a remote start as well, but I went by the Toyota dealership here in my town and they told me that the OEM remote starter VIP was discontinued. Does anyone have a reason why and what would be my alternatives if I went non factory? thanks.
I installed the one for the 2011 model on my 2007 TCH with smartkey system, and it works just fine. Different part number, but it works fine. I installed it myself, following the directions found online, but had to go to a Toyota dealership to have them hook up their scanner to it to activate it - that cost $95 (rip off - took him 10 min), but it works fine. Don't forget to get the hood switch if your car doesn't already have one for a security system - it doesn't come with the remote start kit - but everything else does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hopmedic, thanks for the reply. Where did you buy your remote starter and what was the price if you don't mind me asking. I can probably find a audio/video store that specializes in installations to put it in for me, because I'm not good at stuff like that, but I'm willing to pay someone to do it right the first time. thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
4 Posts
Ordered from ricetoyota.com. A Visit to your Toyota dealer will be required to activate it. Not sure what they'd charge for full installation. It probably took me about 2-3 hours, without really knowing the car. Having done it now, I could do it a lot faster if I had to do it again.

Part Number
Part Description
Quantity
Price​
Total​
PT398-03100
Remote Engine Start
$319.20​
$319.20​
Sub Total​
$319.20​
Shipping​
$12.56​
Tax​
$0.00​
Total​
$331.76​

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
450 Posts
Remote Start- Cost

I contacted my dealer here in Paducah, Kentucky and states he wants $700.00 to install the remote start and I think this is ridiculously HIGH! Does anyone else have prices they are paying???

·
6,631 Posts
Noty sure why you even want it, esp in KY, as in a warm state, as that's not your g'ol conventional vehicle. we had lengthy thread here on trying to warm up interior by keeping engine running, and it's not quite working, as computer simply shuts engine down the very moment whatever needs to be warmed up in hybrid system is.
Maybe if you have it installed for cooling purposes, and have climate control at automatic? But then again, a/c runs off battery. You see where I'm headed?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I contacted my dealer here in Paducah, Kentucky and states he wants $700.00 to install the remote start and I think this is ridiculously HIGH! Does anyone else have prices they are paying???
One dealer I talked to when shopping for a hybrid said they normally throw in a remote starter that costs about $500. However, he said they do not install them in hybrids.

You of course may want to consider that the Eco gods could access you a stiff demerit for using one as they are a waste of energy. Some use the opposite strategy, and run on EV until they can put a significant load on the ICE, so it runs more efficiently as it warms up.

The other option to speed warm up is to install a block heater. It is more energy efficient. The dealer my charge you up to $300 to do it. However, if you just buy the parts and put it in yourself it could be much cheaper. Whitesands here has the scoop on the DIY alternative.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
$700.00 isn't out of the question for a Hybrid. We get $639.00 to do one. I do know that the Hybrids are a little more tricky to do than a regular vehicle, at least that is what the techs tell me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got mine when I bought the car for $395. It uses the same remote as the door locks which is nice. The only issue is the car shuts off when you open any door. That has to do to the keyless ignition I am told. I use it in the winter to clear the windshield of frost.

·
Registered
532 Posts
my dealer tried to sell it to me. I almost got it too. Thought was to have car all warm up for you in winter time. I see them selling it on the internet. Not sure how hard it is to DIY.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
On sale at Amazon for $395.95 but it says must be installed at dealer. I guess its because you have to use the TechStream software, etc.

OP should ask dealer how much for labor only for the install.

$299 on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-CAMRY-REMOTE-ENGINE-START-GENUINE-TOYOTA-KIT-OEM-PT398-03120-/200701807490?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebac28b82&vxp=mtr
eBay link you gave is P/N PT398-03120.pdf and is for non-hybrid.

Hybrids need PT398-03123.pdf ... I :dunno: what the difference between the two is, but you need to get the right one.

Installation instructions for non-hybrid RS. If you find for hybrid, please post.

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
450 Posts
Buttons

Got mine when I bought the car for $395. It uses the same remote as the door locks which is nice. The only issue is the car shuts off when you open any door. That has to do to the keyless ignition I am told. I use it in the winter to clear the windshield of frost.
If it uses the same remote as the keyless entry, what buttons do you press to start the car??

21 - 40 of 205 Posts