Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 205 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
^-- "Press the remote control’s lock button twice
within 2 seconds, then press and hold the
lock button for 3 seconds."
Had one when I had a Prius. Half the time the Prius failed to start. Not worth having one on a hybrid, IMO.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry Hybrid
8 Posts
2012 Camry Hybrid Remote Starter

Any information on when a remote starter will be released in Canada? I don't want to install an aftermarket one and have problems with the warranty if something goes wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
All I can say is that one dealer in Edmonton said they normally throw in a remote starter with each car deal, but they don't recommend remote starters for the Hybrids, and won't do it.

I bought a used car that had an aftermarket remote starter installed. It made a right mess of the car wiring, and you had no idea what they had done. It made troubleshooting electrical issues a nightmare. And electrically and control wise, a hybrid is much more complicated than a standard car. I solved it by selling it.

B

·
0 Posts
I had a factory remote on my 2010 Prius. Waste of money.

Cons

You have to turn on the front heaters that you might need later with the remote start. Also, before you turn your car off, it is best to put the vehicle in Normal mode (no eco) to prioritize heating systems more than Eco mode.

When you touch the door handle to get in your car, the car turns itself off.

No confirmation that vehicle started.
Lengthy procedure to activate; Press lock twice fast then press lock again and hold it for a slow 3 count (just give me a button).

Short range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a factory remote on my 2010 Prius. Waste of money.

Cons

You have to turn on the front heaters that you might need later with the remote start. Also, before you turn your car off, it is best to put the vehicle in Normal mode (no eco) to prioritize heating systems more than Eco mode.

When you touch the door handle to get in your car, the car turns itself off.

No confirmation that vehicle started.
Lengthy procedure to activate; Press lock twice fast then press lock again and hold it for a slow 3 count (just give me a button).

Short range.
Exactly! i agree with you 100%. My dealer said they won't even put a remote starter on a Hybrid. It's more complex than a regular gas Camry. it kind of defeats the purpose to run your hybrid. The only reason I can see for a remote start is if you park outside overnight in the winter and the windows freeze up or ice, that might make opening the doors very hard. Otherwise no need for remote start.

Also in some areas, idling your car (remote start) is illegal or only allowed for a few minutes.

I have a neighbor that runs the car for 20 min every morning even on mornings it's nice out... waste of gas and the environment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Winter preparation to help MPG!

Well if like me you are above or near the 45th parrallel, you know you TCH MPG is starting slowly to drop because of the cold...

I was thinking of installing the block heater but did not do it...

I probably will look for a better way to block the radiator like I did last winter (last year block 50%, this year thinking 100%)

like to know what you are doing to help keep the MPG as high as possible in the 0 to -40 weather...

and what results you got out of it...

Richard ve2dx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well if like me you are above or near the 45th parrallel, you know you TCH MPG is starting slowly to drop because of the cold...

I was thinking of installing the block heater but did not do it...

I probably will look for a better way to block the radiator like I did last winter (last year block 50%, this year thinking 100%)

Richard ve2dx
Does blocking the radiator do anything, really? I don't think it should; as long as the engine is too cold, no fluid should go through it anyway, no? Or is there a minimum default flow through there?
I have had the block heater installed when I completed my purchase (last April), but didn't get to use it yet. I kind of lost the habit of using one, because my previous car (Chevy) had an inline thermostat that shut it down above -17C, kind of stupid if you ask me. I hope this one isn't like that....

Yves

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
I'm in Montreal too and when I bought my car in August, I got the block heater installed by the dealer at purchase time. The dealer told me that nobody buys block heaters anymore and only two cars they sold this year where installed with a block heater. I told him he would now have three!

As soon as the temps go below freezing, I will be plugging in the block heater on a timer so that it starts two hours before I leave in the morning.

I don't have any experience with a Camry Hybrid in the winter but when I had a Civic Hybrid, I blocked the front grille but had to closely monitor the engine temps to avoid overheating. At this point, I wasn't planning on blocking the front grille. I may reconsider but I'm not sure yet. I really recommend a block heater though.

I don't know about the Camry but on the Civic, I believe blocking the front grille "tricked" the computer into thinking that the outside temperature was warmer than it really was and that allowed more "autostop" and also allowed using the interior heat more without having the engine start up to keep it warm.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
My theory about the block-heater is that it heats the block, mainly the head and most important, spark plugs. With the '12 and newer TCH now uses a variable electric water pump. It can shut down or run very slow to allow the engine to warm up faster.

My experience when the temp is around 40 degrees, the engine warms up half as quick as without the block-heater. It usually takes about 2 hours maybe 3 if it's really cold to warm the block. Usually my temp gauge will only read 1/8 to 1/4 scale but doing so does the winter mpg some. The block-heater only draws around 350 or so watts.

Tom in Nebraska once said, a good rule to remember is to drape the extension cord over the drivers side mirror. That way you won't forget and drive off forgetting to unplug the block-heater.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
My typical winter weather routine includes using the engine block heater liberally (If it's below 0°C, I'm using it as who doesn't want a fully warmed engine at 0? -30°C is a different matter). My lower air dam of the Prius is fully blocked below -10°C (half until 0°C though one can half block a Prius until 10-15°C but I don't have a scangauge so I'll live with the slightly longer warm up time between 0 and 15°C).

I also run ECO Mode as that lowers the engine temp threshold for engine shutdown (I've had it shut down at -10°C with the heater running. That won't happen in normal mode). I also dress warmly so I set the climate control at 21°C instead of 24°C or 25°C. I use my seat heaters to warm up as they get hot a lot faster than the cabin.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
WhiteSands,

Do you know if, on the 2012-13 TCH, the block heater heats up the oil in the oil pan or if it heats up the coolant?

My previous cars had block heaters that warmed up the oil but I know some also warm up the coolant. From your post, I'm guessing the coolant.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Do you know if, on the 2012-13 TCH, the block heater heats up the oil in the oil pan or if it heats up the coolant?
It only heats up the coolant. I have never seen a vehicle which heated up the oil. However, that may have been what was done on the old air cooled engines like the Volkswagon beetle, and the Corvair.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
I'll do some research on previous cars of mine (not air cooled) because I could have sworn they had the heating elements dipping in the oil. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Speaking of warming up the car in winter, I seem to remember reading at some point on forums that there was some kind of contraption to warm up the traction battery on a hybrid car (Prius, Civic, Camry?) after market of course.

I know my Civic Hybrid would start the ICE on a conventional 12V starter when it was really cold outside (like -30 cold) and remember reading that previous TCHs would also use some kind of 12V starter on similar occasions. It's my understanding that the '12-'13 TCHs have done away with that so it means the traction battery will start the ICE even in frigid winter cold. Does that seem to be an issue for anyone?

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
It only heats up the coolant. I have never seen a vehicle which heated up the oil. However, that may have been what was done on the old air cooled engines like the Volkswagon beetle, and the Corvair.
Years ago, I worked in a shop that installed an oil plug replacement that heated the oil in the pan. Not sure how well they worked; however, I do remember that it reduced the size of the drain hole and tripled the time it took for the oil to drain...and you also had to be careful with the wires....you could tell the decent installs one of our guys did versus the sloppy ones where you were always re-routing the wires so that they wouldn't drag down, catch, and be torn off...

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
my friend was stationed in alaska and i think he even had a heater on his trans fluid pan underneath his truck...i need to verify w/ him on that one though.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Speaking of warming up the car in winter, I seem to remember reading at some point on forums that there was some kind of contraption to warm up the traction battery on a hybrid car (Prius, Civic, Camry?) after market of course.

I know my Civic Hybrid would start the ICE on a conventional 12V starter when it was really cold outside (like -30 cold) and remember reading that previous TCHs would also use some kind of 12V starter on similar occasions. It's my understanding that the '12-'13 TCHs have done away with that so it means the traction battery will start the ICE even in frigid winter cold. Does that seem to be an issue for anyone?
The TCH only starts on the traction battery. The 12 volt is only used for control power and accessories like the radio and headlights.

The traction battery is cooled and there may be a feature which heats it as well. Your brake system charges up as soon as you touch the driver door handle, so it may start warming your battery as well...

41 - 60 of 205 Posts