Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 205 Posts

·
TCH Lover, Not Obsessed
2012 Camry Hybrid XL
194 Posts
Dipstick heater

I have never seen a vehicle which heated up the oil.
I remember "dipstick heaters" which replaced the conventional dipstick and kept the oil warm. No, they were not heaters for younger brothers! :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Used to live in Alaska for over 30 years. Engine block heaters are great for helping start a cold car and help the engine warm up faster. They consume quite a bit of electricity in the process. Generally you can start a car with a good battery down to about -10F with nothing but after that a block heater is needed. 0-20 oil might make it a little easier.
Cardboard in front of the radiator? Not sure how it would help the hybrid as I was under the impression most of the heater was electric and ran off the batteries. Or does the car have a heater core? Cardboard works but you need to really watch it because during warm weather it can create over heating problems.

B

·
0 Posts
Used to live in Alaska for over 30 years. Engine block heaters are great for helping start a cold car and help the engine warm up faster. They consume quite a bit of electricity in the process. Generally you can start a car with a good battery down to about -10F with nothing but after that a block heater is needed. 0-20 oil might make it a little easier.
Had one installed in my car when I was stationed in Idaho in 1976. I believe the block heater I had pulled 400 watts. Electricity was very cheap in Idaho in the 1970ies. It as cheaper to heat your house with electric than natural gas back then.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Not sure how it would help the hybrid as I was under the impression most of the heater was electric and ran off the batteries. Or does the car have a heater core?
No electric heat that I am aware of. It does have an electric pump to pump hot engine coolant to the standard in car heater core. That way it can provide some heat without running the engine. However at some point the engine cools and it will start to warm itself up again, and make a bit of electricity at the same time.

·
Registered
Camry Hybrid XLE
259 Posts
I can't imagine what good it would do to block airflow to the radiator. The thermostat will close down to keep the coolant temperature at the proper level.

*Edit* Well, I did a little reading on it and apparently in really cold temps (like below 0 deg F) it does help, because the block alone dissipates so much heat in those temps that you need to keep the cold air out of the engine bay. Never would have known that one.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
I didn't think Montreal got as cold as that.
It can but it hasn't in the past few years (global warming?)
Now, it usually settles around -10C (15F) and does regularly go down to -15C (5F) and occasionally to -20C (-5F).

I remember when I was young (35 years ago!), we used to see some -30Cs and -40Cs a few times during the winter but not so much in the past 10 years or so...

So yeah, "really cold" in Montreal is about -40F/C ;)

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Now, it usually settles around -10C (15F) and does regularly go down to -15C (5F) and occasionally to -20C (-5F).

I remember when I was young (35 years ago!), we used to see some -30Cs and -40Cs a few times during the winter but not so much in the past 10 years or so...

Ahh ok. I thought you would be able to exchange cold weather performances on a Camry Hybrid :cool:

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
^wow, -40C and you have the AC on almost full blast?!?! hahaha JK im assuming its the defroster.

EDIT: just realized you have it set to feet in the pic

·
Registered
60 Posts

I live a couple of hours from Montreal and I remember seeing -40 (early morning) maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years. So it's not frequent, but it happens. It used to be that you'd see temperature like that 2 or 3 times per year on average (20+ years ago), but I don't miss those days one bit.

Yves

61 - 80 of 205 Posts