Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 205 Posts

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
I have a rookie question for you guys...what is ICE and what's its function?

·
Registered
74 Posts
^wow, -40C and you have the AC on almost full blast?!?! hahaha JK im assuming its the defroster.

EDIT: just realized you have it set to feet in the pic

Interesting trivia, -40C and -40F are exactly the same temperature. In really cold weather most people run the AC because it dehumidifies. Try turning the AC on some time when the inside of your car is fogged up.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine (as opposed to HSD, or Hybrid Synergy Drive, which is the ICE and electric drive combined)

Function: Self Explanatory
Cool, thanks!

Interesting trivia, -40C and -40F are exactly the same temperature. In really cold weather most people run the AC because it dehumidifies. Try turning the AC on some time when the inside of your car is fogged up.
Haha yea, i googled -40C to F and was confused for a minute LOL. I have noticed turning on the AC makes the fog go away, but only thought to use it on defrost/defrost and feet. This winter I will definitely try it out w/o the defrost too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been noticing it big time... EV mode doesn't kick in much at all, my tanks have gone from 980km to under 900.

And this is only 0-5 degree weather... How bad does it get in Jan-Feb when it's -15!?

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Just wondering, does the ICE still spin and start effortlessly in Canadian temperatures if you don't use a heater?
Yup. A bonus that hybrid owners will appreciate in the winter. The 12V battery only needs to start up a computer in a hybrid. In a regular car, it needs enough CCA to power the alternator to start the engine.

If you don't plug it in at -20°C or below (not an exact temperature, just using that for reference), the engine will fire up immediately when you start the car. If you do plug it in, you can usually back out of the spot before the engine comes on (assuming you don't have the climate control at Defrost)

^wow, -40C and you have the AC on almost full blast?!?! hahaha JK im assuming its the defroster.

EDIT: just realized you have it set to feet in the pic
It's just in AUTO mode so ya it's blowing at the feet and the car is in ECO mode. If I turn off the climate control, the engine actually shut down lol. Granted, that was just an experiment cause at that temp, I wanted my heat back asap!

At 90km/h (56mph), the engine was just "drinking" fuel at 33mpg showing at the instant fuel economy gauge at those temperatures.

I've been noticing it big time... EV mode doesn't kick in much at all, my tanks have gone from 980km to under 900.

And this is only 0-5 degree weather... How bad does it get in Jan-Feb when it's -15!?
Try ECO mode. It lowers the temperature threshold for engine shut off and cuts back on the climate control. I've had my Prius shut off at -10°C in ECO mode with the climate control set at 21.5°C.

My tank on the Prius drops from 800-900km down to 500-600km in the middle of winter (partially exacerbated by the fact that I don't run my tank below 1/4 in the winter for safety reasons).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont think the block heater should be associate with cold temp,
I did some test with my block heater and after 3hours there is a delta of about 40C between the ambiant temp and the coolant temp (reading from the scangauge). the goal of blockheater is to bring the coolent temp near the operating temp and the operating temp is about 85-90C. so if you have a block heater you shall use it when the outside temp is 45-50C or less. even in that situation I would use it but 1 or 2 hour :)

the block heater is your best friend and ALLWAYS plug it before using your car:) unless its 50C outside:)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I dont think the block heater should be associate with cold temp,
I did some test with my block heater and after 3hours there is a delta of about 40C between the ambiant temp and the coolant temp (reading from the scangauge). the goal of blockheater is to bring the coolent temp near the operating temp and the operating temp is about 85-90C. so if you have a block heater you shall use it when the outside temp is 45-50C or less. even in that situation I would use it but 1 or 2 hour :)

the block heater is your best friend and ALLWAYS plug it before using your car:) unless its 50C outside:)
I think you are right, but the block heater is such a pain in the butt to use. How do you always know 1-2 hours before you go, that you are going to go? I guess it may be easier to use if you are working and on a fixed schedule. We're retired so we go when we go...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you are right, but the block heater is such a pain in the butt to use. How do you always know 1-2 hours before you go, that you are going to go? I guess it may be easier to use if you are working and on a fixed schedule. We're retired so we go when we go...
My tougths on the block heater are simple, if your ICE is already warm when take off with the car then you should waste less gaz warming it up and thus bring results closer to warmer days...

as far as the problems of when to start it, this could be addressed partially with timer or remote on/off control on the AC plug?

how else can we prevent the cool (not even COLD! but Cool) temps from affecting our milage results...

Richard ve2dx (Cold (not COOL) Montreal)

·
Registered
15 Posts
in the same idea of the block heater: when its cold outside I run a 120v 900/1500w electric heater in the car 1 or 2 hours before leaving. the benefit of that is that I dont have to use the heater of the car and there is no snow or Condensation on my windows

·
Registered
346 Posts
My tougths on the block heater are simple, if your ICE is already warm when take off with the car then you should waste less gaz warming it up and thus bring results closer to warmer days...
My mileages suffers because I have a short commute (6 miles), and the amount if time it takes the ice to warm up in the morning. Can't bring myself to use a block heater to preheat the car, as I'm in Southern California, and I usually don't even turn on the heat in the car for myself most the time :cool:

As I've written before, my morning commute is mostly down hill, and even with the low warm up mileage the first couple miles, I still average in the low to mid 50's on the way to work. Of course my mileage is much lower on the way home since it's mostly uphill.

A couple days ago I left for work, but after a few minutes realized I forgot something so I turned around and went back home to get it. When I left the 2nd time, the car was already warmed up from the initial short trip.
I noticed it dropped into electric mode right away. When I parked at work, after the 6 mile commute, my mileage for the trip was 78.8 MPG (that's about 1 and 1/4 cups). :eek:

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
I'm assuming the hybrids operate the same as all the other models. The AC compressor runs when the fan is on and the heat setting is to either defrost or floor/defrost. In some models, the AC button lights up. In others, it does not light up but the compressor still runs. It does not cycle on/off as often as when the AC is on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My mileages suffers because I have a short commute (6 miles), and the amount if time it takes the ice to warm up in the morning. Can't bring myself to use a block heater to preheat the car, as I'm in Southern California, and I usually don't even turn on the heat in the car for myself most the time :cool:

As I've written before, my morning commute is mostly down hill, and even with the low warm up mileage the first couple miles, I still average in the low to mid 50's on the way to work. Of course my mileage is much lower on the way home since it's mostly uphill.

A couple days ago I left for work, but after a few minutes realized I forgot something so I turned around and went back home to get it. When I left the 2nd time, the car was already warmed up from the initial short trip.
I noticed it dropped into electric mode right away. When I parked at work, after the 6 mile commute, my mileage for the trip was 78.8 MPG (that's about 1 and 1/4 cups). :eek:
yes, I have already seen similar situation here... but the (ALERT! HALLOWEEN BAD JOKE ALERT!!!) SCARRY part is the fact that you are in Southern California , I am sitting in freaking Montreal near 0C today!

Frankly (See what I did there... told you it was pretty bad!! :rofl2:) I hope you never have to use a block heater in Southern California... and you hit another issue I think on the nose.. my wife (ok, folks talk about scarry! been maried 31 years as of last nite and I SWARE they told me 31 years ago that this was an HALLOWEEN party!) drives about same as you everyday and does have a hard time getting the MPG down even during Montreal Summer (probably similar to Southern California Winter :rofl2:)...

I drive about 25m one way to work mixed highway and city and I really get it down :)rofl2:) a lot easier then her :)clap:)...

Really bad jokes aside... I really think there is an obvious relationship between a minimum millage requirement to proper MPG results with hybrids... this would probably be where plugin hybrids would be better for you and my wife...

Ricahrd VE2DX

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm assuming the hybrids operate the same as all the other models. The AC compressor runs when the fan is on and the heat setting is to either defrost or floor/defrost. In some models, the AC button lights up. In others, it does not light up but the compressor still runs. It does not cycle on/off as often as when the AC is on.
I find the heating/AC system on the 2012 TCH to be quite poor in near freezing temperatures. In summer you can turn the AC on and leave it in Auto all summer. About all you might have to tweak is the temperature setting.

However, when the outside temperature gets cool to the point of just freezing the system loses it's brains in that position. Despite this being the first car I have owned that has a moisture sensor on the inside of the windshield up by the rear view mirror, the windshield fogs up, if it is left in Auto. I believe this is because the windshield gets quite cold, and likely behind the scenes despite the AC light being on, the AC does not run because of a low temperature cutout to prevent freezing.

The only solution I have found is to push the front defrost air button which pops the system out of Auto, and you have to manually control fan speed. However that is the only way I have found to prevent fogging especially out on the highway.

Seems dumb, especially considering it has a moisture sensor, but that is the way I found it works. Toyota needs to do more testing in that intermediate temperature range and fix the Auto system to suit. The sensors and the controls are all there to do it, but it doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2014 TCH Remote Starter Question

Picking my wife up a gray 2014 Camry Hybrid XLE w/ Leather Package some time this week.

I fell in love with the idea of a Remote Start when I saw the option offered by Toyota since it's a Smart Key car. Having a comfortable cabin when I get to it? Heck yeah!

After reading a lot of threads on here about the awful range of the OEM Toyota Remote Starter and its lack of 2-way capability I wandered over to Viper's website.

My question is - If I grab the very simple 2-way Viper Remote Start and have it installed is it going to conflict with any existing technology on the car? I'm mainly worried about the smart key door entry and maybe having to restart the car in order to drive it?

Also I asked a salesman about the warranty and 3rd party remote starters. He said as long as I have their Toyota service department install it, I will only void the warranty on anything related to the starter. So most of the car will remain under warranty still. <- I hope this is true also?

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
I doubt your toyota dealer service dept. will install an aftermarket accessory. I know mine won't.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
I doubt very much that you can get a generic remote starter to work on the TCH. These things usually have a wire to turn on the IGN and then, another wire to fire up the starter... I'm convinced that the pushbutton on the TCH is _way_ more complicated than that.

Personally, I usually get out the house, put my stuff in the trunk, get the scraper/snow brush out, clear the windows, get in the car, fasten my seatbelt, do everything else I need to do (cell phone, GPS, sunglasses, etc). THEN turn on the car and immediately back out of the driveway. I would never think of installing a remote starter on a Hybrid... But that's just me. ;-) Besides, like others have said, it heats up really quickly.

"void the warranty on anything related to the starter" might mean a lot of things on the TCH... I would be wary of that statement...

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the shop doing the install states it will work, don't go cheap with the remote starter. Make sure you get one that offers a 2 way signal so you know the engine is on and running by signaling the remote in your pocket.

81 - 100 of 205 Posts