Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
On the ECO gauge, if negative movement is not due to current flow, what else could they be using for indication? We are half way through our second winter with our 2012 TCH and I have not noticed reduced regeneration in winter. So we are not "all" saying that. Perhaps it is just because I have not noticed it, and as I indicated earlier I will try and watch more carefully. It is -18C here today and we hit -30C or so a couple of weeks ago, so there should be opportunities to see what it does.
And I have several years/winters experience with a Hybrid (Civic) but only a few months in a TCH so I can't say for sure in this case...

My HCH definitely had reduced regeneration in winter and also using NiMH technology (admittedly not as advanced as in the TCH). It would appear to make sense if it did but that's pure speculation on my part. I will definitely pay attention myself too, in the coming months.

Yes, the battery will see full starting current, and I recall reports that it can start down to -40C (-40F).
What happens below -40? car won't start? It's not likely going to drop much below -40 here in Montreal but it's not impossible...

Didn't the first TCHs still have a backup 12V starting system, as in the HCHs? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Since they did away with it (or never had it), it appears the car can safely be started at any temperature.? That it doesn't start is one thing, that it damages the traction battery is another.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
What happens below -40? car won't start? It's not likely going to drop much below -40 here in Montreal but it's not impossible....
My recollection was from a report on hybrids in taxi service done in Calgary. They just mentioned that one operator claimed it started well down to -40. Typically does not get much colder than that in Calgary inside the City. I've seen -46C outside the City here in Edmonton. You could plug the engine in, but it would not keep the battery any warmer than ambient, so it would have to produce at whatever temperature ambient is at.

I can't think of any way that the 12V battery could help with starting. The starting motor in a TCH is 600 volt AC. I guess the 12 volt feeds some of the auxiliaries though.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
The HCH actually has a "normal" 12V starter and the 12V battery is strong enough to start the car using it. In its current implementation, the TCH doesn't have a strong enough 12V system to start the car using a normal starter. So for sure, there is no other starting system on the TCH than the hybrid system. I recall reading some pdf document that in the early TCHs they kept the normal 12V battery and starter to be used in extreme cold temperatures...? Maybe I imagined it? Anyway, it certainly doesn't exist in the current generation TCH.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Anybody else noticed this: ????

It was extremely cold this morning when I left for work (car was reporting -29 C), and aside from everything being stiff, I noticed that I had virtually no regen braking for a good portion of my commute, i.e. the car offered very little braking on the initial portion of the brake pedal travel and I could tell from my scanguage that the battery was not being recharged much, even by the engine. Eventually everything came back to normal, after about 25 km of driving (and I assume after the battery warmed up some).

I'm assuming that it's normal behavior, as in something to do with protecting the battery, but that explains the dismal FE number that we get in the cold.

I'm just interested in hearing if anyone else has witnessed the same?

Yves
I checked mine this AM and watched more closely. However while it was -13C outside, it was only -4C in my attached but not heated garage. I never really noticed any difference in the way it behaved. I got good braking and could fully drop the ECO meter to the bottom. The Energy Monitor screen behaved normally and indicated power going from the wheels back to charge the battery. After driving a couple of miles and consciously braking hard but not hard enough to pin the needle, I got out and felt the disks. They were not ice cold, but not warm either, indicating they were not doing any significant braking. About the only thing abnormal was that after a few miles the battery was charged up to 7 bars out of 8. I very seldom see it there, and have never seen 8 bars. Seems to indicated that the car goes out of its way when cold to load up the ICE by charging the battery. Probably is trying to warm the engine and the cabin interior.

I was doing some last minute Christmas shopping and traffic was regular city driving, and after a quick stop that did not let the engine cool down, and then driving again I got about 5.3 indicated L/100km on a trip of about 10 miles. The first run after a cool down is much worse though. Last I got into some brutal bumper to bumper traffic, and the battery ran down to 2 purple bars, forcing the engine to run just to charge the battery.

Perhaps it has to be much colder to do any limiting of charge current. I suspect my opportunities to observe this will be limited though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You guys were right it does heat up very quickly. Especially the butt warmer.

We got the 2014 TCH XLE w/ Leather Package. Put 620 miles on it in 2 days. Averaging 36.4MPG. I've noticed its highway mileage is no better than the 2009 Ford Focus we traded in on it. I hope that's just because it's not broke in yet. Cruising parking lots in EV mode is amazing. We love it so far.
True all the way. Your mileage will improve as you put in more miles. Break it in properly. My TCH was purchased on March '03 and I've put in close to 16K miles. This winter, I think I am getting 36mpg and that is not bad at all. My Prius is down from 52mpg in warm temps to 46 mpg. Sometimes a tad better. 😎

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
I read about the '12 having some exhaust method to help heat the coolant, but I forgot how that works.
Yeah the latest HSD systems with the "Exhaust Heat Recovery Systems" warm the engine up a lot faster.

It basically opens a circuit that allows coolant to flow down and through a heat exchanger that transfers heat from the exhaust pipe to warm up the coolant and then the warm coolant would help warm up the engine.

IIRC, with the Prius, the warm up time is one minute faster at 0°C.

The green/blue being cold coolant and the pink being warm coolant.

·
Registered
2013 TCH LE
208 Posts
...Averaging 36.4MPG. I've noticed its highway mileage is no better than the 2009 Ford Focus we traded in on it...
Yes but this is no Ford Focus. It's bigger, heavier with a much more powerful engine+motor.

You should be able to get 40+MPG when the weather warms up.

Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
2012 Highlander
15 Posts
New 2012 TCH Owner with a question

Hey everyone. Let me start out by introducing myself. I'm John and I just bought a 2012 TCH XLE on Sunday. I am loving the vehicle so far and have found this site and seen that it has so much good information it will be visited often.

And for my (first im sure) question. I have been looking all over to find this answer and haven't been able to. My vehicle has the keyless entry with remote start. I love the fact that I don't need to pull the keys out to get in the vehicle or start the engine (though I still find myself reaching for the keys when i want to turn it off). My problem comes when I want to get in the trunk. When I reach under the trunk and push the button nothing happens. I can pull out my key and push the trunk button to open it, but where is the fun in that? I don't know if there is a setting I need to reconfigure or I I should hit the dealership and begin taking advantage of my 12 month/12,000 factory warranty since it was a CPO vehicle.

If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

j

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
449 Posts
Button

Hey everyone. Let me start out by introducing myself. I'm John and I just bought a 2012 TCH XLE on Sunday. I am loving the vehicle so far and have found this site and seen that it has so much good information it will be visited often.

And for my (first im sure) question. I have been looking all over to find this answer and haven't been able to. My vehicle has the keyless entry with remote start. I love the fact that I don't need to pull the keys out to get in the vehicle or start the engine (though I still find myself reaching for the keys when i want to turn it off). My problem comes when I want to get in the trunk. When I reach under the trunk and push the button nothing happens. I can pull out my key and push the trunk button to open it, but where is the fun in that? I don't know if there is a setting I need to reconfigure or I I should hit the dealership and begin taking advantage of my 12 month/12,000 factory warranty since it was a CPO vehicle.

If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

j
If you are sure you are pressing the PAD above the back license and it doesn't work, take it to the dealer. I just traded in my 2012 TCH for my new 2014 AVALON XLE TOURING. It has the exact same system. Reach underneath and you can feel the PAD and press upward and it opens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 2012 remote has been reprogrammed so that when I hit the UNLOCK button, everything unlocks. Because of that, I can unlock the trunk with the button under the lip of the trunk. Perhaps you need to reprogram the remote? TO test this, you should hit the UNLOCK TWICE (the defaulted method) to unlock 4 doors + trunk... If it opens when you do that, as well as hit the trunk button under the lip, then you can reprogram the remote for more handy operation of the unlock feature.

·
6,509 Posts
I think you do not do it right. It won't open from simple touch. Or push. You have to allow it several seconds to actually pop open. Place tips of fingers on sensor pad, press gently up and hold.
Same goes for door locks. If you locked doors, there is 3 second delay to open, to prevent accidental Open action. So, if you forgot something inside, closed the door, pressed door handle sensor, and it locked, and you figured you need to open right away - will not happen. You must let go of it, count to about 5, then it'll open again.

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
449 Posts
Count to five?

I think you do not do it right. It won't open from simple touch. Or push. You have to allow it several seconds to actually pop open. Place tips of fingers on sensor pad, press gently up and hold.
Same goes for door locks. If you locked doors, there is 3 second delay to open, to prevent accidental Open action. So, if you forgot something inside, closed the door, pressed door handle sensor, and it locked, and you figured you need to open right away - will not happen. You must let go of it, count to about 5, then it'll open again.
On my 2012 TCH and on my 2014 Avalon XLE Touring, you DEFINITELY do NOT count to five. In fact my doors unlock Immediately on touch and lock Immediately on touch, absolutely NO delay whatsoever. Touch again and it unlocks immediately.

·
6,509 Posts
Read manual. Manual says "3 second delay to provide ability for owner to check that door is locked".
Which is clever, actually, as how do you know it DID lock? With 3 sec delay you can pull on handle.

·
6,509 Posts
On my 2012 TCH and on my 2014 Avalon XLE Touring, you DEFINITELY do NOT count to five. In fact my doors unlock Immediately on touch and lock Immediately on touch, absolutely NO delay whatsoever. Touch again and it unlocks immediately.

I don't think you understood what I am talking about. Lock the door by pressing the button, remove hand, and then immediately slide hand between door and handle. Door should NOT unlock. That's the 3 second "check" delay. After that expires, you can open right away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think OP was referring to opening trunk lid, not door.

I have 2012 TCH XLE with the keyless ignition. As long as I have the smart keyfob in my pocket, the trunk lid opens as soon as I press the wide button hidden above the license plate. I've bought the car new and it has always worked like this. Sounds like either your car/fob was reprogrammed to disable the trunk lid or something is broken.

·
Registered
TCH 2014.5
73 Posts
I think OP was referring to opening trunk lid, not door.

I have 2012 TCH XLE with the keyless ignition. As long as I have the smart keyfob in my pocket, the trunk lid opens as soon as I press the wide button hidden above the license plate. I've bought the car new and it has always worked like this. Sounds like either your car/fob was reprogrammed to disable the trunk lid or something is broken.
Yeah, my two guesses are that either something was reprogrammed or the key sensor radio for the trunk area is not working properly. Definitely take it in to the dealer to get it checked out.

·
Registered
2012 Highlander
15 Posts
I was talking about the trunk lid not opening when depressing the pad above the license plate with the fob in my pocket. I tried it with my second fob last night with the same result. (yes, i feel really lucky the dealership had 2 fobs for a used vehicle) It works great with the doors and the start button. I am taking it to the dealership later this morning and hopefully they can figure it out and fix it under warranty.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2012 Highlander
15 Posts
Just got back from dealership. Initially they were confused. But once the tech took a look at it and unhooked the trunk liner on the lid he found that the sensor had been disconnected (it didnt look like it had just fallen out, possibly the previous owner didnt want his trunk accessible without hitting the button on the fob?). Once he plugged it back in it works like a champ. I guess I could have looked at this myself but with a warranty I'd rather not take things apart and mess things up further, there will be plenty of time for this once the CPO warranty runs out....

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will need more before its all said and done.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
Just got back from dealership. Initially they were confused. But once the tech took a look at it and unhooked the trunk liner on the lid he found that the sensor had been disconnected (it didnt look like it had just fallen out, possibly the previous owner didnt want his trunk accessible without hitting the button on the fob?). Once he plugged it back in it works like a champ. I guess I could have looked at this myself but with a warranty I'd rather not take things apart and mess things up further, there will be plenty of time for this once the CPO warranty runs out....

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will need more before its all said and done.

Cheers!
Glad they figured it out and it was a simple fix:thumbsup:

Welcome!:welcome:

We look forward to your input on the forum.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts