Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in install a remote starter on my new 08 SE V6. I have couple question:

1. It should use the same key, but not sure which button it will be on.
2. About how much it will cost?
3. Will it hurt the engine in long run?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
OEM or Audiovox AS9076 will use the factory keyfob. Otherwise, there are plenty of systems out there depending on how much you want to spend and what features are most important.

If you are talking about the OEM system, it uses the "lock" button (press twice and hold on third depress). Range is so-so and the engine will shut off when you unlock the car to get in (Toyota safety feature). There are plenty of threads if you want to search for more info.

·
Take it easy... :-)
'08 XLE
3,018 Posts
OEM or Audiovox AS9076 will use the factory keyfob. Otherwise, there are plenty of systems out there depending on how much you want to spend and what features are most important.

If you are talking about the OEM system, it uses the "lock" button (press twice and hold on third depress). Range is so-so and the engine will shut off when you unlock the car to get in (Toyota safety feature). There are plenty of threads if you want to search for more info.
...the main problem on the OEM in my mind is not that it turns off when you unlock...my main problem is that when I sit in the restaurant and want to switch it on to warm up the car (very nice at chilling 0) I never know if the car indeed got switched on. Their is no light or anything on the mfg fob indicating the car has been successfully switched on - at least mine does have none.

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts

do you have first hand experience with that audiovox unit? i tried looking, but i cant find any reviews on it..

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
422 Posts
I am interested in install a remote starter on my new 08 SE V6. I have couple question:

1. It should use the same key, but not sure which button it will be on.
2. About how much it will cost?
3. Will it hurt the engine in long run?
I stop by the dealer two days ago checking on this. It is 799 for installation + parts @ Tustin Toyota.

·
'08 XLE
3,018 Posts
It's really not that a big deal people make out of it...the purpose is that the car gets warmed up and it will. Having to push on the brake pedal and push the knob to start the car takes less time than buckling up. If I enter my car it's a simple and always the same procedure....

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
It's really not that a big deal people make out of it...the purpose is that the car gets warmed up and it will. Having to push on the brake pedal and push the knob to start the car takes less time than buckling up. If I enter my car it's a simple and always the same procedure....
i got the aftermarket carbine alarm. I got it for 350 w/ installation. ignition kill, remote start AND off. So if I'm running in to grab something real quick, I can leave my engine on, and lock the doors to get whatever i need. come back out, insert my key in while the engine is still running, and drive off.

i always feel paranoid about starting, shutting off, then starting my car again. Myths say it wastes gas and like, it might be bad for ur engine to shut it off and turn it back on immediately?

·
'08 XLE
3,018 Posts
i got the aftermarket carbine alarm. I got it for 350 w/ installation. ignition kill, remote start AND off. So if I'm running in to grab something real quick, I can leave my engine on, and lock the doors to get whatever i need. come back out, insert my key in while the engine is still running, and drive off.

i always feel paranoid about starting, shutting off, then starting my car again. Myths say it wastes gas and like, it might be bad for ur engine to shut it off and turn it back on immediately?

Yes, very convenient indeed, I agree....just never do that in NY, you want have your nice mod'd car for too long...it takes seconds to open your car door and conveniently the car is already running.

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
422 Posts
If you live in area where it is cold and rains a lot, it make sense to get engine start. So you could warm up the car and defrog your windshield.

However, if you are in sunny california where i rain when pig flies...it is a nice to have feature than anything else.

I had an aftermarket version in my old Accord. Pretty kewl stuff. It was from Viper / Python.

·
Loving the camry =)
Toyota Camry
330 Posts
Yes, very convenient indeed, I agree....just never do that in NY, you want have your nice mod'd car for too long...it takes seconds to open your car door and conveniently the car is already running.
i've always wondered about that. if the car is running and doors locked but the key isn't in. but someone breaks in, are they still able to easily drive off? don't you still need to reinsert the key?

·
'08 XLE
3,018 Posts
i've always wondered about that. if the car is running and doors locked but the key isn't in. but someone breaks in, are they still able to easily drive off? don't you still need to reinsert the key?
Can't tell you how all the Camry work here...don't have a key to insert on mine :D...so, mine would just be driving away :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts