Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've done some searching through this forum and google for "remove door lock" and haven't been successful in getting directions. I was also reading the review of the appropriate Chiltons on Amazon and apparently that doesn't help as well.

My question - I don't have any keys for an 87 Supra, and was told by the stealership that they don't have the keycodes for cars that old. I need to remove the door lock cylinder to have replacement keys made.

Any resources, tips or suggestions on how to:
- Safely remove the door panel
- Get the lock out without destroying it (I want to reuse it) or screwing up any of the theft deterrent systems
- reinstalling/put it all together

Thanks!
Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a locksmith so maybe I can help although it has been 4 days since your post. You will need to work on the passenger side the code is only there nowhere else and phillips head flat head 10 mm socket with 6" extension, disconnect linkage off plastic connector remove door handle 2 10mm bolts oh and don't drop them in the door then remove c-clip from handle assembly and lock then there is your code

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Questions...

sava said:
I am a locksmith so maybe I can help although it has been 4 days since your post. You will need to work on the passenger side the code is only there nowhere else and phillips head flat head 10 mm socket with 6" extension, disconnect linkage off plastic connector remove door handle 2 10mm bolts oh and don't drop them in the door then remove c-clip from handle assembly and lock then there is your code
Thanks for the reply! I just have a couple of questions.

What do you mean "disconnect linkage off plastic connector remove door handle"

How do I get to the door handle to remove it in the first place? Do I go in from the outside or the inside?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sava said:
Just to followup.

Now I understand what "linkage off plastic connector" is.

I had to remove the retaining screws and door panel, which wasn't too bad. The Hayne's was a big help here.

Once I got to the lock, the Hayne's spelled it out: Remove bolts from the handle assembly (still not sure that was needed... perhaps to wiggle the cylinder out); then unclip the power door opener assembly from the end, unclip the plastic linkage/rod retainers and unbolt the cylinder from the handle.

I had no clue how to remove the linkage and did all the other steps, wiggled the cylinder around and heard a plastic "snap"... oh [email protected]#[email protected]# - broke off one of the rod retainers.

:headbang:

That's a mistake I've learned not to repeat again, should I ever have to do this again.

But success, got the lock off, got the keycode off of it (very corroded, kudos to the locksmith for cleaning up the lock to get it...) , got the new keys and they work fine. Now just waiting for the stealership to get the new linkages in (AutoZone and PepBoys do not carry these, unfortunately) so I can get the lock back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts