Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Avy and I have an annoying rattle on the drivers side. It sounds like a CD rolling back when I take off. It's either in the B pillar or the rear door. How do I remove the door panel or B pillar. I searched this forum and found nothing on this. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
Tundra
347 Posts
Bump.

No reply? I need to remove a door panel. Surprised nobody knows how to do it without damage.
Ive removed all of my door panels during a speaker upgrade and the installation of Dynamat on the interior of the outer skin and the second sheet metal (where door panel attaches).

There is a special tool (stereo shops, Crutchfield, ect). It's flat and fork-like in appearance, but the ends of this tool are not pointed, but flat. Use this tool to start on the outer lower corner and slowly work this tool in and begin and rocking motion (pulling gently outwards. Once you get the first clip to snap, do this with at least one or two more, then you can begin to slowly and gently pull the door panel off. The window controls are pushed in with plastic/nylon clips. Use a flat screw driver, but place a cloth/towel as to not damage the arm rest. Toughest part (be patient) are the door handle inserts. Small thin tip screw drivers help to open these inserts up and out. Some of the plastic clips may remain attached to the interior of the door panel. Make sure you remove them before re-installation. If you break the attachment point ( I did on one), you can reglue/repair it since it's made of plastic. I used a hot glue gun with heavy-duty glue sticks or gorilla glue (just use some latex gloves or an applicator tip because Gorilla glue will darken your finger and leave a nasty residue)
I've used this method after seeing knuckleheads a stereo shops rip those things off and break countless clips.

BTW, if you break a clip, you can find them at the HELP section of Orielly's Pepboys or Checkers. Take one as a sample. Dorman manufactures usually carries an extensive line of such clips for most parts on any car.

I had a rattle on my left door, it was that fake aluminum piece right below the door sill. I pushed that in, and used some hot glue to resecure it. Good luck and hope it works out for you. Oh those annoying little "pinch" wire anchors, Use a small needle nose pliers and pinch the opposite ends to remove those clips and reuse. Use a little silicone lubricant on the plastic/nylon anchors when reinserting them, but open them up a little with a flat screw driver so they stay tight.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts