Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 4-Runner, 3.4L V6

While doing scheduled timing belt change, Stealer says water pump needs replacing. Ok, that's what the Stealer does, but he wants $100 additional labor even though he's already in there.

I asked him, what if I do the wp later? He said they had to remove the timing belt all over again to remove the wp, another $150 labor cost. Oh yeah, and add $16 for $4 worth of anti-freeze.

Is this Stealer on the level? Never heard this one before and I can't get to a fiche or manual. Would like to get my truck back this afternoon.

I hate Stealers. Mechanics are great but the Stealer's business practices suck.

Thanks for info,
- c bob

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
yup thats how they do it the timing belt runs the water pump, you might go later and do this or do it your self if you can take everything off the front end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In that case I'll go ahead and let the Stealer do it.

#1 - I've got too many other projects going, including a half-finished restoration in the garage now. It's 95F outside . . .

#2 - Stealer mechanics are first rate with the experience and tools to back them up. Svc writer also promised an OEM pump, not aftermarket.

#3 - It seems Toyota uses a special "red" coolant. Not sure if it helps durability, the environment or the Stealer's pocket. I would have stuck the Wally brand in there and expected another 180k miles on it.

Many thanks on the reply.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
you can do a search on the site for the red coolant. it's a special long life coolent that toyota developed or payed someone too that doesnt have sillicate in it, the sllicate usaly falls out the coolant and damages parts. blah blah blah they have a little hand out on it at the dealer i read it the last time i had my car in the shop it seems like some good stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts