Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 96 camry, the white/red stripes on the sides of the car are completly, worn down, and actually make the car look uglier than it already is right now... how do i remove this without scratching the paint?

I removed rubber edgings on my brothers gen4 camry in between the door panels, and part of the vynl fell appart, but used a sharp knife, and cut it back to size without scratching the paint.... thats what experince i have with this sorta thing right now.

·
422 Posts
try waiting until it's hot out in the sun and park your car and let them soften up. use a credit card to get an edge up and peel away. You can also try some goo gone or another adhesive remover.

·
Registered
440 Posts
you can use a hairdryer (preferably a heat gun) to loosen it up then just pick at it with your fingernail until you get a hold of it. The just pull as you loosen it with the heat from the dryer/gun. Use tar and bug remover to get rid of anything thats left.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Just be aware the paint color under those stripes may not be the same as the rest of the car. Fading and discoloration on exposed surfaces. :eek:

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
And ALSO be aware that some of those goo-removers will strip your paint!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ummm... i should take a picture of what it looks like, but its 50 degrees outside and raining :( .... but theres no constant vynle peice, its all WORN down, stripped,cracking, the whole 9 yards.

G

·
mcelligott said:
you can use a hairdryer (preferably a heat gun) to loosen it up then just pick at it with your fingernail until you get a hold of it. The just pull as you loosen it with the heat from the dryer/gun. Use tar and bug remover to get rid of anything thats left.
This seems to be the general consensus from past discussions.

Yay, I used big words! :D

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I remember a topic about removing Toyota badges/emblems glue where there was a scraper (putty knife?) that could work with a heat gun.
It's in here somewhere. Do a search on removing badges. I used WD40 (let it soak in a while) , fingernails and cussing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.