Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Dad-O-Lot
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having intermittent starting issues with my 2005 Toyota Corolla. We thought it might be an issue with the alarm system. My son thought it was an after-market alarm and removed it. Traced the wires and removed the module box and all the wires attached to it.

The connections were all "vampire" connections, so he assumed it was after-market. Didn't cut any wires, just unplugged and removed the "vampire" connections.

Hooked the battery back up and the door open alarm sounded and dash lights came on appropriately when I put the key in the ignition and tried to start it; however, then nothing happened and everything then went completely dead.

This is my first Toyota.

Am I screwed? I do not think I would be able to get the alarm system all reinstalled. Is it necessary or is there something else I can do to bypass it and get my car started?

· Registered
199 Posts
You sure you got the right key? The key has a chip in it and if it is not matched you'll have nada. This place is an incredible source for how to stuff. good luck I'll be following along to see what happens. When you do resolve this please post what the problem was.

· Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
Did it start before the alarm removal with same key?

What exact unit did you take out? Make and model.

Most aftermarket alarm systems and some remote starts either have a built-in or external relay starter kill. You want to make sure if it was enabled or wired, that the starter wire is reconnected instead of being intercepted. I have this feature on my Viper remote start for my Camry. If I disconnect my remote start start with it left in the armed state, I cannot start my car.

· Dad-O-Lot
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late update. It turns out that it was an aftermarket alarm, or possibly installed at the dealership. The issue was the battery. I felt like a bit of an idiot once I figured that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.