Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2013 Avalon Hybrid's rear window shade is stuck in the 'up' position. When lowered it clacks loudly. Toyota nation information tells me this is a problem that reoccurs after very expensive repairs. I want to pop out the switch and cut the wires. Please advise..
Apparently these rear sunshades problem on Toyota and Lexus models dating back to 1995 have never been addressed by Toyota Co.
Thanks- Ron Mayo

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
121 Posts
I have read reports of issues that some have had too. Unfortunately, it isn't really a cheap fix when the gear is broken or worn (usual cause of noise) and I don't know if the guy that made a replacement gear out of metal is still doing it or not. The phantom operation issue can also be a pain to isolate. Personally, I never had either issue in the 13 years I owned my '02 Lexus ES with the rear shade. I liked the feature very much but then again, it worked flawlessly for me.

Regarding popping out the switch, yes that is an option that shouldn't cause any issues. You can simply unplug it to test. There is even a filler "blank" that you could get from Toyota to fill the switch location. Cutting wires won't be necessary, but you'll probably want to tape the plug from the disconnected switch to other wires in your dash so that it doesn't rattle. Alternatively, you can leave the switch in place but merely disconnected. The fuses that are for it (34 & 35) are not just for the rear sunshade so you'll want to leave them intact.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts