Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, the previous owner apparently would wax it and leave the wax all up in the crevices like the door handle etc and now it is caked on.

Does anybody know how to remove this wax buildup?

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
Don't laugh. A toothbrush get it out of the cracks.
If its really bad, dampen the area, put a little cleaner wax on there and wiggle the brush in the cracks. Lemme know if it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i'd be careful with the toothbrush...the bristles could do some damage to ur paint finish.....if the wax is on the plastic in between panels...then theres not much u can do to get it off...if its on the paint......just try to use a soft cloth and rub the excess wax off....or try washing the car with DAWN dish washing detegent...that will remove some of the wax buildup...but u will have to rewax the car shortly afterwards.....

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
True a toothbrush could scratch...i should have specified...a soft bristle brush. (I have never had a toothbrush scratch my car-just keep it clean and NEVER let it touch the ground!)

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the toothbrush sounds like a good idea but i'm worried about scratching. will a soft bristle scratch the paint? also, what's cleaner wax?

oh, and the wax is only in the cracks, not in any easily accessible places so this is what is frustrating me. it looks ugly.

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
The toothbrush is fine and safe....just don't scrub it all over your car...it's perfect for running it through cracks....I use it all of the time...around door handles, ect.
I absolutely love Zymol's cleaner wax... has a lot of oils in it that just bring out a new depth of the paint. Zymol's regular wax is awesome too.

(PS- I know some professional detailers who SWEAR by the toothbrush-I have never had any scratches with it on mine. Just go gently). :)

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
MRQturbo said:
i use a toothbrush on my rims...but never on the car itself......
It's safe. Trust me. Just make sure it's a soft bristle and if your really unsure, wet the brush. It's gonna be in the cracks, so even if it does scratch (never has yet) you cant see it. The trick is to gently slide the brush back and forth in the crack. It loosens it, or use a q-tip, removing some cotton to fit the space. ;)

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice. i'll try it out and see how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts