Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of my friends had told me that, that i can take out the intake pipe and directly connect the air filter to the throttle bodyto my 87 pick up, and that it will improve performance. I just wanted to know if this is true or not?

·
Registered
38 Posts
this is incorrect because if you look on top of where your air cleaner is there is a vane sensor,which tells the computer how much air the engine is using therefore giving more fuel.

another reason os also that your engine will be sucking in hot air,which is less dense and will have less power than the cold air that the stock air box brings in.

by any chance do your friends drive civics or any other honda/acura:lol:

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
I agree with 92runner. Your friends must be on drugs. Having all that hot air sucked into your engine will produce bad proformance and lowered HP. Not sure what kind of rig you have, but if you can, just drill some holes in your airbox and you can gain a few HP from that.

·
Official TN Memburr
'88 4Runner
133 Posts
Ok, so what you're saying is that there is no restriction in the intake system except the air coming into the airbox where the air filter is? I had not heard this before and have been looking for better breathing for my 22RE (884Runner, BTW). I do have a K&N air filter in it myself, found this did help although it gets dirty faster (?).

Interesting information...

D'mon

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have a K&n filtercharger in my truck ,and it seems to run stronger. when i rev it up real hard i can hear it sucking the air into the airbox from outside the truck... sounds pretty cool. makes kind of a "shhhhp" sound.:cool: I agree with you D'mon, the K&N's do seem to get dirty quickly,..well at least the filtercharger ones do, i dont know about the cold air's. But look at it this way, you know it is working properly because all the dirt is on the outside and not going into the intake.:thumbup:
I just bought my truck and really didnt give it much running yet, the filter is a little dirty so far. What is the technique you use to clean out the filtercharger filter? Water?, air?, special cleaner? any help would be good for me when i go to clean it.

thanks, -Adam-

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
^K&N sells a cleaning kit. Follow the directions carefully and don't over oil it. As far as the intake tube, it sucks pretty badly on the 22RE since it takes in air on the driver side, then crosses over to the passenger side through a pretty small tube with lots of flow disturbing bends and such. Still, you can't just put a filter on the throttle body without keeping the AFM in there somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, thanks for all that info. and ya. my friends drive shitty ass honda's (barffing)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts