Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clean up the look of my gen2 and I think those pinstripes look aweful, especially becuase they are 13 years old. Does anyone know how to remove them? I might just go at them with my fingernail, and some rubbing alcohol. And after i remove the residue i am going to go over it with polishing compound.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
dude... this happen to me on my car.. when i removed the pinstripe some of the paint faded. it looks like i got a tan line on a door. i also lost a chunk of paint aobut the size of a sharpe pen tip. but fingernails and goof-off is good. the yellow canister one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i used a blow drier on high heat to get my pin-strips off. When they get hot they peel right off.

·
Banned
34 Posts
yeah, i just took mine off, use a heat gun, and peal it off, the heat heats the glue, loosening it, and they come right off. now chances are you are going to have some glue left on the car for the stripes. then you want to use some goo gone of some sort to get the extra crap off.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i got goo gone and it doesn't work worth crap for getting the adhesive off... i let it sit for 3 mintues, but nothing. if i really work it, the adhesive starts to ball up, but shouldn't it work better than this?

·
Registered
171 Posts
goo gone didn't work when trying to remove the glue residue from the emblems on my trunk lid...but niether has wd-40 or varsol :(

any other tricks before sand and paint?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i was too lazy to use a heat gun or a blow dryer so i just waited till the sun came out for a couple hours an picked at it an usually i could get long strips at a time an that turned out nice....goo gone does suck but "GOOF OFF" works best......ALSO gasoline works...for goof off or gasoline don't apply directly dab a cloth on either product an start rubbing on the adhesive left on the paint dont use an abrasive rag use a soft soft towel if you know what i'm talkin about.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i already got the pinstripes off. thanks though.

has anyone else with a gen2 had a gigantic scratch along the top of where teh pinstripe was on the front fenders?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, but don't know how to fix that probelm. One of my friend had it we just painted over it (homemade). It blended in but you could still see it if you concentrate hard enough.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
userlain said:
i already got the pinstripes off. thanks though.

has anyone else with a gen2 had a gigantic scratch along the top of where teh pinstripe was on the front fenders?
Was it where a cheapo bodyshop used pin stripes to hide where new paint met old? Had that happen to me on a prelude. When I took the pinstripes off, I about had a coronary.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
amerikim said:
Was it where a cheapo bodyshop used pin stripes to hide where new paint met old? Had that happen to me on a prelude. When I took the pinstripes off, I about had a coronary.
I had that happen on my cam, except they repainted just 1/2 of a door, and had the old pinstripes removed and painted on, so I had to carefully acetone them off.

All went well until I hit the passenger side rear door.

I'm thinking of just having it buffed and then reclear-coated. I still need to take it into a body shop for an estimate. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts