Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble taking off the top 3 bolts of the strut cap where it is seen in the engine bay. What toolls would i need to undo them? I have already destroyed one of my sockets trying to undo it with a socket wrench. Thanks.

Also what is recommended for the 2 larger bolts that connect to the control arm. ? Thanks

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Go down to Sears, invest in a decent set of metric wrenches and a breaker bar. You will use them as long as you work on imports.
Also pick up something to loosen rusted/gunked up bolts and some loctite. Good tools make a good job.

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
I used some wd-40 and elbow grease. I do have a full set of craftsman tools as well that are tough enough to handle the abuse, including a torque wrench. But I did get the top 3 and lower 2 off.

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
i destroyed my craftsman socket wrench when i tried, so i went over to the breaker bar and rust releasing oil combo and that workedvery nicely

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much sould a good breaker bar run me? And are htey all universal? From what i see it looks like a socket wrench w. a long ass handle.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I go with the impact tools. 14mm on the top struts nuts, and i tihnk 19 or 21 on the two big ones at the bottom. The larger ones on the bottom should be a lot harder than the ones on the top.

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Well, since I never had access to impact tools, when I had trouble removing the rear strut bolts, I went to a flat fix spot and had them take off the bolt with their impact tools. Then I greased up the bolt and had them put it back on. When I got home, taking it off with my ratchet was simple. You can do the same for your situation.

·
Boss Honky
2,703 Posts
DITTO

Pineapple said:
Impact gun works everytime. Didn't have problem on it with my 3/8 ratcher.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
for a breaker barm you can always use the extension part on the handle of your floor jack......

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
gqdabien said:
how much sould a good breaker bar run me? And are htey all universal? From what i see it looks like a socket wrench w. a long ass handle.
breaker bar is about 10 - 20 bucks and worth it! yeah its a socket with a long handle but it will take those bolts off in a jiff:D

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
what? there's no way you'd break anything taking off those 3 bolts. factory spec is like 20ft/lb max for those. for the control arm you need air gun there's no way of taking those off by hand.

·
422 Posts
the 2 bolts holding the strut to the spindle need a 1/2 drive ratched or bar with a pipe about a foot longer, at least on a gen 2. They're torqued to aboot 180ft/lb and fun to retorque with hand tools :)

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
14mm deep-well with a breaker bar and liquid-wrench.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
yeah i wouldn't try taking off those 2 big boltswith hand tools. i broke 3 wrenchs trying to take them off. then i got air tools took them off in a second. air impact gun rules

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With impact guns, can u adjust the amount of torque you want to apply to the socket? What are the specs for the top strut bolts, and wheel lugs? Thanks.

I am debating wether or not to get a Craftsman 1/2inch drive impact wrench up to 350lbs for 90$.

Thanks

·
Grenaded piston
6,592 Posts
gqdabien said:
With impact guns, can u adjust the amount of torque you want to apply to the socket?
Yes, but I wouldn't use a impact wrench to tighten bolts.

The proper tool is a torque wrench.

What are the specs for the top strut bolts, and wheel lugs?
Top strut bolts: 29 ft. lbs.

Wheel lugs: 75 - 80 ft. lbs.

I am debating wether or not to get a Craftsman 1/2inch drive impact wrench up to 350lbs for 90$.
Not sure about the Craftsman impact wrenches.

Have you looked at IR (Ingersoll Rand)?

I have a IR231 (1/2" drive, 450 ft. lbs., 600 ft. lbs. in reverse), paid about $200 for it at Sears.

http://www.irtools.com/industrial/e...801&ModelNumber=2131P&ReportType=searchwizard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts