Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey anybody know how to remove the air cleaner from the top of the carb, i would like to because i am changing the vacuum lines in my 88 sr5. just wondering because it would make it sooooo much easier. thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's clips around the top of the carb. Pop the clips then remove the cover. Just slide the filter out then put your new one in. Now snap the cover back on. YAY!

·
Loud Street Machine!
82 Posts
does k&n make air filters for the rolla's???
or is there any after market filters that are any better than stock??

·
Registered
164 Posts
They do make a k&n filter but it's really pointless...

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i already changed the filter element i just need to get it off the top of the carb so i can reach the vacuum lines underneath around the carb

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok, so how do I remove this off the top of the carb? I am in the process of changing my vacuum lines and it would be 10 times easier if i could take that off until i was done. Thanks.

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would really like some help because it would make it sooo much easier.

·
Banned
245 Posts
It is not exactly easy.. but anyway, Look around under the filter holder (that big black thing) and you should see how to do it.

It's been so long since I worked on my old 4af .. hmm I know that there is an emissions line that comes off of the cat and connects to the cover there It's a big hose u gotta disconnect that.. There might be a screw or 2 in the cover.. I can't really say I don't remember :(.. just fool around with it and yank on it.. u'll be able to figure out what you gotta do to get it off.. if it feels like it is really really held on there when u pull at it.. there is probably a few screws holding it on.

·
Banned
245 Posts
You can't just "PULL" it off.. there is an emissions hose, if u don't disconnected that from the bottom of the air filter box...

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks punisher, I'll try that when i buy more hose, damn there is a lot of hose. Also I never have any time dammit. Maybe this sunday. I'll tell you how it works out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is one small hose going to the valve cover. Pull that out and then you can twist the whole thing to the side. There is another larger hose going to the white part on the side of the black filter cover u might want to take off, but I have been able to work on the carb by just pulling the thing to the side w/o any screws.

·
Registered
56 Posts
AH AH AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

after you have disconnected the lines

just twist from side to side

its a bitch but it will come off:rolleyes:

·
Banned
245 Posts
There is that one hose like I said.. it comes up from the catylitic converter and connects to the under side of air filter tray.. once you remove that and obviously the nut in the center of the tray.. it comes right off.

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah so i got it off of there there is like some clamp thing i had to squeeze with vice grips on big hose that is on the bottom, btw what does that do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts