Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Camry hybrid needs a battery and I’m debating whether to have it replaced or buy a new used car. My price range for a new car would be about 14k.

The car wasn’t responsive to the gas pedal one day for about the first five mins of driving then the next day I got the hybrid warning light (VSC and Hybrid) My neighbor has an apps for his phone that pulls codes. I’ve attached the print outs

I was having no known problem with the car other than the dashboard is sticky (I missed the recall 🙁). And the TPS light came on after tire rotation which is no big deal.

There is a Christian Brothers automotive with a tech who works on hybrids. The owner suggested I tow it to them and they will check over the whole car to see if there looks like any more expensive repairs are looming. He also said I can have Green Bean replace the battery in their parking lot should I decide to keep the vehicle.

12v battery was replaced 2016

I drove the car about 5 miles after the check hybrid warning light came on. The engine sounds really rough. Probably need new spark plugs??? I have done no maintenance other than oil changes yet and I think it’s time for some fluid flushes.

All the dashboard warning lights came on the second time I started the car after the hybrid light came on....brakes, check engine, maintenance, anti skid...

I’ve attached the report from my neighbors app.

I was surprised the hybrid battery died already because I thought I’d get 150k or more miles from this car I can not keep it in the garage and live in Houston so could be why it failed
I’d appreciate your thoughts thanks!
A0AF80EB-E10A-46C5-AE33-9E85070BC337.png
A0AF80EB-E10A-46C5-AE33-9E85070BC337.png

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Sienna LE, 2016 Camry LE
201 Posts
How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,412 Posts
@wolfephoto, the OP's neighbor's app readout says 90,800 and change.

@Wendypanda, I once foolishly repeated here at TN the standard Internet guess on hybrid battery longevity -- 150-200K miles or 10 years. I got my feet put in the fire because apparently a lot of people here get a lot more out of their hybrids.

As for repair or ditch, that's a tough, tough question for me, as you might guess since my family is super happy with 19 year old Avalons. I doubt that lack of garaging was a big factor unless the hybrid battery cooling fan and ducting got cooked in the summer heat, or your car took a swim.

I usually ditch cars when an upcoming repair bill adds up to more than the value of the car -- a value that is not hard to reach when the car is as old as most of my past rides have been. Even so, I've done this only twice in my lifetime. It's hard for me to divest myself of a car that's been good to drive and fits my needs.

If you're willing to part with $14k, I'd say start looking around at your local (non-flooded) market.

On the other hand, if you were to sink half of that in your current car, I'd think you'd have everything fixed. How much do you like it?

(One thing that would be a huge factor for me is this: younger cars are fitted with all sorts of automatic controls, all of them attached to expensive electronic modules, and every touch of luxury and every extra dollop of featurism is... well, frankly, they're meant for disposal when, not if, they break.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well to be honest it probably died from lack of driving. Hybrid batteries are the opposite of gas cars in that they don’t like lots of short trips and sitting. Most of the failures I’ve seen on here are low to lower mileage cars. This car is a good example = 7,700 miles a year. It’s also an 07 which tend to have more failures since it was the first year.

If it was me I’d put a battery in it and keep driving if you like it. Or at least get the current battery repaired so you can trade it in. $14k can buy you a really nice newer Camry tho! My advice is to go with a gas car if you’re not going to drive it at least 12,000 a year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

@Wendypanda, I once foolishly repeated here at TN the standard Internet guess on hybrid battery longevity -- 150-200K miles or 10 years. I got my feet put in the fire because apparently a lot of people here get a lot more out of their hybrids.

As for repair or ditch, that's a tough, tough question for me, as you might guess since my family is super happy with 19 year old Avalons. I doubt that lack of garaging was a big factor unless the hybrid battery cooling fan and ducting got cooked in the summer heat, or your car took a swim.

I usually ditch cars when an upcoming repair bill adds up to more than the value of the car -- a value that is not hard to reach when the car is as old as most of my past rides have been. Even so, I've done this only twice in my lifetime. It's hard for me to divest myself of a car that's been good to drive and fits my needs.

If you're willing to part with $14k, I'd say start looking around at your local (non-flooded) market.

On the other hand, if you were to sink half of that in your current car, I'd think you'd have everything fixed. How much do you like it?

(One thing that would be a huge factor for me is this: younger cars are fitted with all sorts of automatic controls, all of them attached to expensive electronic modules, and every touch of luxury and every extra dollop of featurism is... well, frankly, they're meant for disposal when, not if, they break.)
I love my car!!!! I feel so bad I missed the recall for the dashboard. And I was under the impression that 100k on a Toyota is nothing. My plan was I’d probably need a new car in 4-5 years. I only drive about 6,000 a year. If the dashboard were normal and the carpets cleaned it would look nearly nes. Some scratches on the outside due to shppong

I love my car ! It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I’m sick about the dashboard being melted but I’m not going to pay the thousand dollars to have it replaced. I just wish I understood that the recall repair applied to sticky dashboards and not only cracked Aside from needing the carpets cleaned on the interior there’s very little signs of aging The outside has typical superficial scratches from carless grocery store shoppers. My personal situation is that, even though I’m 55, I’m on Social Security disability of less than $1000 a month and I do you have some money in the bank won’t last till I die, so I can’t just go up out and buy the kind of car I’d really like to have. I was figuring I would have to get one more car in my lifetime, kind of earmarking the timeframe as in five years

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I looked into that company called Green bean I had made the decision to replace the car. Toyota wants between six and $7000 to put a battery in and the battery has a one-year warranty. With Green beans $1800 battery and a lifetime warranty fixing the car is back on the table

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you plan to keep the car for five more years I recommend putting a new Toyota OEM battery in it. About $4,000 but it will last another 100,000 miles. If not trade it in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Find a local independent Toyota mechanic. The battery retails for $3500. Install is easy. The dealer is ripping you off.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,958 Posts
Does anybody know what the warranty on a Toyota OEM battery is? I can find Toyota going on about the warranty of the one that comes in the car but not warranty of a replacement battery.
Is it the same 10 yr/150k that's on the 2020 Hybrids battery?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
With Green beans $1800 battery and a lifetime warranty fixing the car is back on the table
Indeed, if you love the car, I'd say keep it. However, I looked at the Yelp customer reviews for Green Bean and see that they stipulate that you must have the car diagnosed before they install. The guarantee would make me take a chance on their re-built battery.

As for the diagnosis -- you have a readout, but I have my doubts that the engine misfire is due to the hybrid battery failure... but I don't know, as my knowledge of the innards of hybrids is miniscule. In any case, the misfire is a condition, not a diagnosis and the source of the misfire has to be tracked down and fixed.

Anyway, you'll want to find a good independent shop and have them diagnose what's going on before having Green Bean replace the hybrid battery.

I have a couple of litmus tests for good independent shops:
-- in business for a long time. 15 years at least.
-- ASE or other certified mechanics
-- overwhelmingly positive local reviews

Yes, local reviews can be rigged, but if you go to multiple reviewing sites (Yelp, Google, etc.) and ignore the duplicate reviews, the general picture should emerge.

Re: the dashboard. Took a look at some of the pictures and threads -- wow. If you bought your car new, try going to the original dealer and asking them if they'd take care of the issue the way that Toyota did: fix it for free. There must be some sort of situation where you didn't get the letter from Toyota, and you can explain that to them, in the hopes that the full situation might persuade them to do the right thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I looked into that company called Green bean I had made the decision to replace the car. Toyota wants between six and $7000 to put a battery in and the battery has a one-year warranty. With Green beans $1800 battery and a lifetime warranty fixing the car is back on the table
Yes, I have called two and the battery’s about 4000+ installation. Which seems ridiculous considering that I put that much more into it I can get a newer Camry that’s not a hybrid and maybe lower miles Christian brothers has a person who works on hybrids but they are in favor of manufactory batteries, which of course they would acquire from Toyotas part shop. What I read about green bean looked legit. Has anyone use them? They’re advertising lifetime warranty, though I’m sure that’s prorated from the time you bye it. Christian brothers also named other battery manufacturers that are now in the business I said we could look through them all to see if we want to do any of it or just have a car towed for Treyden. God knows what it’s even worth without running

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to be honest it probably died from lack of driving. Hybrid batteries are the opposite of gas cars in that they don’t like lots of short trips and sitting. Most of the failures I’ve seen on here are low to lower mileage cars. This car is a good example = 7,700 miles a year. It’s also an 07 which tend to have more failures since it was the first year.

If it was me I’d put a battery in it and keep driving if you like it. Or at least get the current battery repaired so you can trade it in. $14k can buy you a really nice newer Camry tho! My advice is to go with a gas car if you’re not going to drive it at least 12,000 a year.
That’s another thought. Unfortunately because of the economy right now there may be availability to buy more car for the money

·
Registered
201 Posts
Refurbished batteries (greenbean) are junk. Buy OEM or buy a new used car. Preferably not a hybrid. You can get a Camry with like 50,000 miles for $14k. What state are you in?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
wolfephoto, OP says in post #1, "I live in Houston."

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, I have called two and the battery’s about 4000+ installation. Which seems ridiculous considering that I put that much more into it I can get a newer Camry that’s not a hybrid and maybe lower miles Christian brothers has a person who works on hybrids but they are in favor of manufactory batteries, which of course they would acquire from Toyotas part shop. What I read about green bean looked legit. Has anyone use them? They’re advertising lifetime warranty, though I’m sure that’s prorated from the time you bye it. Christian brothers also named other battery manufacturers that are now in the business I said we could look through them all to see if we want to do any of it or just have a car towed for Treyden. God knows what it’s even worth without running
Give Hometown Hybrids a call. They have been in it since the beginning. They know their stuff. Located in Houston.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,958 Posts
I guess the fact I still drive a 25 yr old T100 says something about Toyota products and me, but I'd rather spend say $5k to service/repair a clean known quaintly than $14k on an unknown.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Another option is to have someone take the traction battery out and rebuild it.....sometimes about $600. do a search in your area. There are 34 batteries, paired together making 17 modules, that can have corrosion on the "buss bar". So maybe there are a couple bad batteries (out of 34). Even if you only got a few more years out of it, you can always get a green bean battery installed later.

Get the engine checked out first...does it use oil? Get your Christian Brothers automotive to check it over, ask if they know someone that can rebuild the battery. People with Prius cars have been getting batteries rebuilt for years. Everything is a risk....maybe the stimulus check will cover the repairs?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to sound ignorant but to clarify traction and hybrid are the same battery?

I have read that people replace parts of the battery. It seems complicated to me and something I wouldn’t attempt myself or ask a neighbor. This sounds dumb but one thing that’s been hanging me up is I was told not to drive it and have it towed so wherever I have it towed it will be there until I decide what to do with it next. I don’t think I’d own another hybrid after this. It too complicated!

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,958 Posts
Yes the traction battery is the one your dealing with. There are companies that repair them so it's not generally something an owner would do, like you said they can be complicated. AS mentioned, have it towed to the shop of your choice and have it checked out for any and all issues so you have. Get the facts and estimates to use in your decision weather to fix and keep it or move on. Having it sit in the driveway or in the shops at this point makes no difference since you can't drive it until it's fixed or replaced. You are fortunate that you live in a large city because there are more choices on who and how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
traction and hybrid are the same battery?
Yes. The buss bar that diesel-man referenced is the bar, which is a kind of built-in cable, that carries the ground side of the hybrid battery pack.

I have read that people replace parts of the battery. It seems complicated to me and something I wouldn’t attempt myself or ask a neighbor.
No, it's a job for a trained technician, definitely.

This sounds dumb but one thing that’s been hanging me up is I was told not to drive it and have it towed so wherever I have it towed it will be there until I decide what to do with it next. I don’t think I’d own another hybrid after this. It too complicated!
Hybrid automotive drive systems are complex and every element is interconnected. The safest approach is to have it towed. As for why -- I don't know.

I have a friend who has been buying Priuses from the start, one every two years. I once thumbed a ride with him and was given a complete introduction to the hybrid system dashboard. He knew every element of it. I was like a dog watching television.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts