Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have a gear reduction that looks like this repairing is simple. Most times the contacts simply wear out.

Take the three bolts out and you'll find the plunger, remove it.

Then you'll see the contacts, notice the one going to battery wears out faster than other.

Remove the contacts by unscrewing the 14mm nut holding it in, you'll find a group of insulators as well. I've laid them out in order.

Replace the bad parts and reassemble.

If you need the contacts give me a call at 912-323-1378 or send an email to Tercelgts at comcast.net , shipping and parts a re $10 in lower 48.

SPECIAL: This month only free alternator brushes with holder for every contacr set sold.
I need specific application, make, model, year, size engine ans transmission auto or manual. Region helps also as many are different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I just joined, and that was because my wife's coralla failed to start. I am impressed by the threads on this forum, and how slick the site works.

TercelGTS, I found your photo guide on how to repair the failed contacts in the starter, and it made it a very easy job. Many, many thanks.

I read somewhere the advice to buy the Haynes and maybe the Toyota shop manual. I have both, and had I taken the advise in the shop manual, I would have had to throw the "magnetic switch" out. As luck has it, there is a guy who does starters 2 km down the road, and I could get the parts from him. He also advised to replace the plunger. Rightfully so, it was about half worn down. It cost me all of $15.

Rodejetta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TERCEL STARTER REMOVAL

I don't know what you mean. Under the car I loosened one 14mm bolt but where is the top bolt? I don't know what bellhousing is. Which side should I stand on and are the bolts accessible from the top or under the car. Are the bolts hidden by hoses and wires? Do any other components have to come off to get to the starter bolts? Sorry I'm so dumb- thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TERCEL STARTER REMOVAL

The car is a 92 Tercel. Access for one bolt near the bottom of the starter was reached from leaning over the drivers side fender.
I did disconnect the two wires from underneath and the battery was disconnected on the negative terminal. Should these bolts be easy to find? Please provide even more details on how to find the two mounting bolts for a 92 automatic Tercel? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Camry
69 Posts
When the contacts are worn, starting will become intermittent. BUT, you should *always* hear the "click" of the starter relay. This "click" is the magnet pullling the plunger down onto the contacts. When the contacts are good, the circuit is completed and the engine turns over. If the contacts are bad, the contacts don't... well, contact. So the engine will not turn over. But you always should hear the click. Perhaps you should listen at the engine with the bonnet open as someone else tries to start it.

If you are not hearing the click, then I would believe that you have a different issue. Check battery terminal connections for corrosion. Cleaning them up with a wire brush may make a difference.

Good luck
Paul.

·
Registered
401 Posts
How much did all that cost? I had my starter go bad on my camry, something about the solenoid getting stuck, and it fried itself. I don't think I could have repaired something like that, but I ended up spending nearly $200 for a starter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.