Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota pickup
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about repairing this sun damage? Pics below.

The color I'm trying to match is color code 179, any information is appreciated, I've never done any sort of vehicle painting at all. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Take it to be painted, or sand it down and prime/paint it yourself.

You wont be able to salvage that to do a scuff and spray.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you ever painted a vehicle?
Do you want a car show shine or just a paint job?
Do you have a compressor, garage, paint gun?
Whats your budget?

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
I was gunna say buff the crap out of it, but i say find someone to spray it for you.

depending how well you want it done and what grade of material you want, it may cost alot or not.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Unfortunately I think its beyond buffing, by looking at the photos the problem here is that the clear is literally gone in some spots and cracking off in others so there isnt anything to buff.

Depending how long that sticker has been there, you might find a good spot under it.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Definitely time for a repaint. That paint is GONE!

·
Registered
Toyota pickup
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys, could I just respray the clear coat in that area? That sticker has been there for years, it's probably fubar'd under there.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, could I just respray the clear coat in that area? That sticker has been there for years, it's probably fubar'd under there.
Respraying the clear won't work. You'll need to sand it down smooth (which will remove color as well as clear in spots), and repaint it in color and then clear.

Sorry.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
If the sides still look pretty much OK you might get away with painting just the upper surfaces, but realistically at this point, taking it to a shop and having the whole thing resprayed is best.

Might even try a MAACo or similar chain's specials. Not top shelf quality but not bad.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
My Cressida was repainted at Maaco for the Signature service deal they had. It's a good paint job in terms of gloss for 2-3 years, but starts loosing the gloss and the paint is pretty thin. If you just want a paint job, take it to Maaco. If you want it to last and look good, get a better quality paint job, though they cost more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts