Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am thinking of buying a Tacoma. Looking to spend about $15k might go up to $25k.

I noticed there are a lot more for sale with 200,000km to 230,000km than there are with 100,000km to 200,000km.

Is there a reason for that? Are there often big repairs slightly over 200k and not so much between 100k to 200k?

What would you recommend for best value? I have about $15k to spend but if $25k gets me a much better truck that needs much less repairs then it might be worth financing.

On a side note, I only want manual transmission and also want double cab, 4x4, long or medium box.

·
My Other Truck
3,806 Posts
Welcome! Manual transmission trucks will be a bit harder to find than automatics. I would guess the best reason for a greater availability of higher-mileage Tacomas is simply because they last so long. Owners hang onto them well beyond the point at which other vehicles are sold or traded in. Ours only has ~92K miles (147K km) and I consider it not much more than broken in. I can't really speak to major problems because I haven't had any. The 4.0L V6 has a timing chain so no worries about belt replacement. Brakes last a long time, I have replaced front pads once, rears are still good. OEM battery lasted 7 years. Routine maintenance is about all it's had.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
200K Kilometers = 125K Miles. I wouldn’t ever consider that high miles for a Tacoma. As far as repairs, shouldn’t be things other than normal maintenance for a long time...so long as the truck was not abused. I just did front wheel bearings at 220K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I am pushing 300km (186k miles), and still no major issues. Wheel bearings and cabin fan the big hassles.

Like Splicer said, manuals will be a lot harder to find. I think on here, it was a 4-1 ratio of auto to manual, just on informal poll or recollection. Getting exactly what you want, even harder.

·
tecsol
2006 Hilux Vigo DC
2 Posts
2006 Hilux (Tacoma) DC 4.0 V6 Manual 4x4 with 365,000km across harsh conditions in Southern Africa... engine is bulletproof and never been opened...

Pointers:
- Do regular suspension checks / servicing /maintenance
- Service with fully synthetic oil (5W-40) oil every 5-10,000km depending on workload
- Replace gearbox, transfer box, front diff, rear diff, radiator fluid, power steering, brake fluid - every 50,000km
- Replace V Belt every 50,000km
- Check when water pump last replaced

Recent Repairs:
- Fuel pump relay @ 340,000km
- Replaced 2nd clutch @ 325,000km
- Reconditioned Alternator @ 300,000km
- Reconditioned AirCon Compressor @ 275,000km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Tacoma
365 Posts
I am pushing 300km (186k miles), and still no major issues. Wheel bearings and cabin fan the big hassles.

Like Splicer said, manuals will be a lot harder to find. I think on here, it was a 4-1 ratio of auto to manual, just on informal poll or recollection. Getting exactly what you want, even harder.

I'm at 280,000 and no major issues. Besides routine maint, had a wheel bearing and wiper motor replaced. That's all. Best part? It was paid off 5 years ago. I own it, not the bank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Tacoma stick with just over 68,000 miles and it looks new and runs great.

If your thinking of a used Tacoma, check the frame rust. Mine it totally rusted and barely drivable. I am the original owner and Toyota won't fix it. The dealer inspected it for the recall and said it was fine.

This is my second Toyota truck with a rusted out frame. I'll never buy another Toyota truck

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I think what you're looking at in the 100-200k range (which is barely broken in) are lease returns and people that just wanted to upgrade to a newer model.
It's a great way to save a few bucks... let the first owner take the depreciation hit.
Main thing I'd be looking at in the 150-200k (km) range would be the water pump. My '08 started slinging water (not badly) around 85 or 95,000 miles. I replaced the pump at around 110,000 miles (200k km?). I had 160,000 miles on it when I traded it in on my '16 Corolla.

I had no other issues with that truck at all. 2.7 automatic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mechanically the trucks will last a very long time. However, my first truck lasted about 113,000 before the frame rusted out. My second truck only made it 68,000. Mechanically, both of these trucks should\could have lasted a lot longer than they did. There was no rust on any body panels, the interiors were almost showroom new. The drive trains were also in great shape.

By the way, during the Tacoma frame recall, due to rust, the frame passed Toyota's inspection. It was then coated with the CRC compound. A few months later, the CRC was peeling off. The Tacoma was again recoated with CRC and I was told it was fine. This Tacoma has a little over 68,000 miles and could run much longer were it not for the frame.

So if your looking at a used Toyota truck, I l would make sure you personally have the truck put on a lift and walk underneath it yourself.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts