Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 limited with the jbl navigation and I don't really care for it. I've got a 2013 bezel and an android radio that I might install. I see examples of replacing the jbl system while keeping the stock navigation unit. I also find people replacing head units, but none replacing the navigation head unit. I would prefer to keep the jbl amp and sub, but if I have to replace the whole system I'm fine with that. Has anyone replaced a navigation head unit or the entire jbl system? Any tips would be appreciated. I don't need a steering wheel adapter or backup camera adapter. I have the stuff to handle that part already. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well to answer my own question. The Axxess TYTO-01 allowed me to connect my Android radio and still use the JBL system. It was simple and works great and sounds way better than the stock radio. Next up is to replace speakers.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Same money can be put into an aftermarket amp and not deal with the jbl/oe nonsense.

I guess I don't see the point in replacing the headunit and keeping the OE amp/speakers.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same money can be put into an aftermarket amp and not deal with the jbl/oe nonsense.

I guess I don't see the point in replacing the headunit and keeping the OE amp/speakers.
The harness I bought was 50 bucks so it was well worth it. The stock amp and speakers work so I'm in no hurry to replace them. I will get new speakers and probably put them in this spring. The amp works fine so it's unlikely that I'll replace it. I'm not 17 anymore so I don't have a need to blow my windows out like I used to LOL. The point of replacing the deck is to gain more/better features than the stock unit. I also wanted the pocket under the radio.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I think the OEM JBL sound system sounds pretty good. About the best sounding system I have ever had in a car. Afterall, its a car, you have wind and road noise etc. that mar any stereo anyway. Yeah, I could rip out my whole interior and re-insulate and put in better sound barriers than stock, re-do all the weatherstripping to minimize noise, but at the end of the day, the windows are all uninsulated, single pane that have not only minimal thermal insulating value, but also minimal sound insulating value, so it'll never be as quiet as my living room where investing in a better sound system would be a better investment. The only reason I am considering a head unit upgrade is because the 2009 JBL w/ Nav has a pretty primitive user interface even for 2009, IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts