Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I try to replace my Avalon's CV boot (outer), which is 1996 before Aug. I have a difficulty to remove driveaxle from axleshaft. I released lock ring from axleshaft. I feel that driveaxle can be moved back and forward very small gap. Could anybody please give me some advice?

Thanks!

Felix

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
The two cars I've done it on (non Toyota) took a crowbar to pop them out. They normally don't come out by hand even for buff people.

*edit* I forgot... If that doesn't work, start tapping it with a small<er> sledge hammer and go from there... Seriously.

·
Crossdrilled and Slotted
90 Posts
I used a piece of wood (on the driveshaft, after the bolt was off) and hit that with a sledgehammer (held it ~4 inches from the head though.. didnt hit it THAT hard.. )

·
Registered
3 Posts
It really takes a lot of force to pop the axils out. I had to use a pry bar and a Dead blow hammer. Once out don't bother changing the boots. A rebuilt axil is about $70.00. All new boots and the CV Joint is repacked with a 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would a bad CV axil make a front tire vibrate so much it feels like you going over a rumble strip. I purchased a 95 with less then 70K on it. Ran great for weeks and then the right front tire felt like it was going over a rumble strip. Then about a mile later it stopped. It has been coming and going and hard to explain to the mechanic what it is doing. Seems to happen after going around a sharp right hand turn.

Thanks for any feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts