Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Highlander Lovers,

I'm planning to upgrade the radio in my 2008 highlander hybrid with JBL to a more richer unit with Bluetooth Music, Navigation due to popular demand from my family. I did some research and looks like I can visit a Car Audio shop like Car Toys, Best Buy or locally owned shops and they would do JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood kind of brands or I can order Chinese Android units from eBay, Amazon, Ali Express or direct from their websites and do the install myself. I'm inclined towards the Chinese import + Self install. I have nailed down to a specific Chinese brand (specs are below, I'm not sure whether I can link external sites here) and planning to order one with CAN-BUS Decoder for JBL. I have couple of questions:

1. What features do I lose by removing the factory audio? Based on my experience, the phone Bluetooth calling feature will be gone which is expected. I'm worried I may be missing something which I'm not aware of.
2. Based on some YT videos and forum discussions here, the Hazard Warning switch can be reused with the new unit so I don't need to buy a new one or rewire and looks like this unit also has airbag sensors.
3. Will these units drain more battery that will impact the 12V? I've had starting problems before if I left the interior lights ON overnight so wondering if I should do anything addition to make sure the unit draws power only when the engine is ON.

Specs of the unit:
  • 10.1 inch large HD touch screen
  • Android 9 system
  • PX5 Cortex A53, 8 Core CPU processor
  • SAMSUNG 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 32GB internal storage
  • Built-in DSP, better sound quality
  • Support factory JBL sound system
  • Support steering wheel control
  • Support Google maps
  • Top factory small screen still working after installation

·
Registered
2013 Highlander Hybrid
101 Posts
Care to share the brand and model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Experts, any inputs for these questions is much appreciated:
1. What features do I lose by removing the factory audio? Based on my experience, the phone Bluetooth calling feature will be gone which is expected. I'm worried I may be missing something which I'm not aware of.
2. Based on some YT videos and forum discussions here, the Hazard Warning switch can be reused with the new unit so I don't need to buy a new one or rewire and looks like this unit also has airbag sensors.
3. Will these units drain more battery that will impact the 12V? I've had starting problems before if I left the interior lights ON overnight so wondering if I should do anything addition to make sure the unit draws power only when the engine is ON.
4. How do I know whether I have JBL Amp? I contacted the seller of this audio system and they say that even if the car has JBL speakers, it may not have the JBL Amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts