Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been getting the dreaded "Insert correct storage media" EC 123 EC 11D error on my radio to the point that it is useless now. I've been looking at aftermarket radios such as the Pioneers and most are out of stock at Crutchfield and need $200 additional to get steering wheel controls etc. through the additional modules. I've been thinking about getting one of those Android units but the consensus here is that Bluetooth generally doesn't work well. I found a thread about possibly upgrading to a Pioneer unit over the stock Panasonic 57012. I know I am running a risk of scratched pieces getting something off of Ebay but this may be my best option. I don't want to replace the same unit and run into this problem again. If I buy say the P10470 or P10076 and not install the additional ENTUNE bluetooth box (going between $200-300), will the radio work? I really don't care about GPS, just want a radio that work and can make calls with. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
2012 Camry XLE, 2007 HiHy Limited
52 Posts
Have you looked into Best Buy? Admittedly they're not my first choice when it comes to aftermarket stereos but they had a Pioneer in stock that I actually had installed in another one of my cars and I needed it pretty quick. I got the rest of the parts I needed like the iDataLink Maestro and its associated harness off of Amazon, again, due to time constraints. I thought about the Android units as well but I wanted to retain most if not all of my OEM features like TPMS monitoring and vehicle settings. Sorry this doesn't answer your last question. I figured I'd throw another option out there just in case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bestbuy seems to have the same stuff that Crutchfield has. I found a Boss unit for around $230. The steering wheel control is almost worthless. Phone pickup and hangup doesn't work. The controls left right and center don't work and when I power off the car the volume goes up 1 or 2 levels. The dash kit that Crutchfield sent me I had to sand down a little but to get it flush with the control knobs. The worst part is the sound is mediocre...OEM was way better.

If I do go for the same unit 57012 or chance the Pioneer and see if it works, does anyone know if I have to get it re-programmed to work with the car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that is added to the order for a Pioneer unit. The one I ordered probably doesn't work with it. It would put the total cost around $500 for the replacement. While it is great to have Apple Car Play, I probably will just opt to get a used OEM radio but try for the Pioneer one which you can update the FW with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts