Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 91 4x4 with 119k on it. It has a little valve tapping noise when it warms up, it runs pretty good tho. Should I go ahead and change the timing chain now? At what point should it be changed?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Timing chain is good for 100K, some people have made it another 10-20K.
So you're due now.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Reactions: HEAVY_GD

·
Registered
91' Toyota Hilux 4x4
51 Posts
I have about 110k on mine with lots of valve chatter.My 94 I bought new had 141k on the original chain,when I wrecked it(sniff),with no noise.I suggested replacing it to the new owner of the engine but as far as I know it still has the original chain.I just run it till the guides break,LOL.

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
The valve tapping noise on warm up dosent necessarily mean your due for a timing chain, what your probably hearing is the valve lash not being at operating temperature, if the engine warms up and the noise goes away then i would put my money on that. If it doesn't maybe do a vale adjustment on it. Also to be sure what your hearing is not injector pulse, when i first bought my truck i thought i too had a valve out of wack, till i put my ear up to where the injectors were. Iv heard people going 250000 to 300000 on there original chain. When a chain does start to go it generally will start giving you a noticably load rattle for a few seconds until oil pressure builds on cold start ups. Worst case is when it starts giving you the "DEATH RATTLE" this is when you have neglected the first sign and now the chain is rubbing against the timing cover. But like denniswoo said (nice pic by the way) if it bothers you fix it.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota truck
5 Posts
Advice - timing chain.

I just bought a 92 22re 5spd 4x4 reg cab, 1 owner, 181 000 kms, meticulously looked after, its in awsome shape, he did all the scheduled maintenance and regular undercoating, stored in a garage, it does't get any better, HOWEVER, when I asked him about the timing chain - still original. Should I change it? This is my 4th Toyota (cars) and regularly changed the timing belts @ every 100 000 kms. Never owned one with a chain. I was going to wait until spring, about 10 000 kms. cold Canadian kms !!

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Welcome to TN :):). The 22re is a little more in depth when replacing a timing chain. Be prepared for some disassembley when replacing it. You have to remove the cylinder head to replace it. If your mechanically inclined then go for it. Of all seriousness its not as bad as you first think. I though the same way when replacing the head gasket, but the process is very straight forward, just read over the manual before diving in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to TN :):). The 22re is a little more in depth when replacing a timing chain. Be prepared for some disassembley when replacing it. You have to remove the cylinder head to replace it. If your mechanically inclined then go for it. Of all seriousness its not as bad as you first think. I though the same way when replacing the head gasket, but the process is very straight forward, just read over the manual before diving in.
You DO NOT have to remove the cylinder head. pull the oil pan if the guides are broke up.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota truck
5 Posts
...after a little more research it appears that chains can go an easy 300 000 kms before changing. The service manuals don't have a regular maintenace interval for the chain. I was more concerned with the effect of a belt and was unaware of the chain longevity. Its a major issue for belts at 100 000 ks, Thanks All !!

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
the harder you drive, the shorter it may last.

So basically, if you're in doubt... just pull the valve cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i bought my toyota with 84k on it and now it has 240,000 miles on it and ive never changed my chain make sure before you start ripping things down check your spacing in your valves with a feeler gage intake is .8 and ex is .12

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just replaced my timing chain and such today. I found the cam and crankshaft gears to be in fine shape despite being including in the replacement kit. My truck has 167,000 mi on it and the plastic guides were chewn to shreds and the chain had started to eat into the timing cover. The grooves were maybe only 2/16ths deep so I opted for not replacing the cover. My engine also had the ticking noise at start up coupled with a bit of a screech that would dissipate after a minute or two but the ticking would continue. I'll updated tomorrow after I finish the job to see if the ticking stops otherwise i might consider checking the valves (after thought I know). From what I understand the chains can go forever without ever breaking but if given the opportunity they will gladly eat through anything nearby so its worth doing it routinely every 150k if you ask me.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
always replace sprockets with a chain. whether it's timing chains, motorcycle drive chains, etc.

timing cover's like $50... cheap insurance and then you don't have to scrape the gasket :p

the screech is probably from the belts slipping till they warm up and the rubber gets just a hair tacky

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good for you jswampler. The chains tend to stretch over time and cause wear to the sprockets, perhaps not to the naked eye, but if measured, you would be surprised at the wear. Hence the replacements. i hope you used them ;o). Saw a golden and a bald passing down the valley over the weekend. How lucky can you get??? Comming up next weekend? drivin the yota i hope...:D
I just replaced my timing chain and such today. I found the cam and crankshaft gears to be in fine shape despite being including in the replacement kit. My truck has 167,000 mi on it and the plastic guides were chewn to shreds and the chain had started to eat into the timing cover. The grooves were maybe only 2/16ths deep so I opted for not replacing the cover. My engine also had the ticking noise at start up coupled with a bit of a screech that would dissipate after a minute or two but the ticking would continue. I'll updated tomorrow after I finish the job to see if the ticking stops otherwise i might consider checking the valves (after thought I know). From what I understand the chains can go forever without ever breaking but if given the opportunity they will gladly eat through anything nearby so its worth doing it routinely every 150k if you ask me.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
the chain will last forever.its the guides that go on the 22re and u dont have to pull the head or pan..
+100000

Also... Rattling valves have exactly NOTHING to do with the timing chain. Excessive clearance is where valve noise comes from...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts